Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just joined and as my username suggests I am looking for a fox body mustang (no this is not a wanted ad i know it would be in the wrong section). I would like to know how many mods are absolutely required to put a cam (b, e, or f-303) on a stock mustang....and how difficult is it? Also, what kind of speed gains will it bring and will I get a choppy idle for sure? Because that is what I want the most....thanks for the help I am a complete noob at modding mustangs like these (dont understand hardcore talk about "lift" and stuff on cams and such)

·
Registered
73 Posts
you can fit an f cam with no clearance issues but it is to much for a stock motor do you have any other mods on the way

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Hey guys i just joined and as my username suggests I am looking for a fox body mustang (no this is not a wanted ad i know it would be in the wrong section). I would like to know how many mods are absolutely required to put a cam (b, e, or f-303) on a stock mustang....and how difficult is it? Also, what kind of speed gains will it bring and will I get a choppy idle for sure? Because that is what I want the most....thanks for the help I am a complete noob at modding mustangs like these (dont understand hardcore talk about "lift" and stuff on cams and such)
You wont have any clearance issues with those cams listed, if installed straight up... untill your stock springs give, and you experience valve float.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thannks for the replies so far, and no I don't have mods on the way, I need to know which ones I need haha
like I read you need different headers or something, but is that all? I am looking to buy and if I buy one with, say, exhaust mods and/or 3.73 gearing, what would I need?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
oh jeeze... if you want a choppy idle just pull a spark plug..

good sound is a by product of a well built motor.

cam should be the last mod you do. but if you want just the cam then just get the f cam and a new set of springs beings your not worried about making more power.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
sorry i sounded like an ass i know your new so ill try to be a little nicer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No its all good man i respect what you have to say, so is there any other way to get that choppy idle sound (pulling a spark plug is no good haha) that anyone knows of? I can put speed mods later but I am a new driver so it shouldnt be scary fast anyway....I just want it to look good and sound awesome because in the northeast (especially where i live) these cars are rare and having one would be so cool in the first place that I can modify more later

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
do a header back exhaust

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
No its all good man i respect what you have to say, so is there any other way to get that choppy idle sound (pulling a spark plug is no good haha) that anyone knows of? I can put speed mods later but I am a new driver so it shouldnt be scary fast anyway....I just want it to look good and sound awesome because in the northeast (especially where i live) these cars are rare and having one would be so cool in the first place that I can modify more later
ya some headers off road h pipe and 40 series flowmasters to dumps will make it sound good.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Meh just pull a vaccum line off like will did on his cobra, it will give you a lopey idle...LOL I know you want the sound but like others said cam should be your last mod, it ties everything together, you wont yield any HP from just doing a cam, a cam is a supporting mod and brings out HP that is already there that you arent using from other mods. If you are on a budget throw on a set of explorer or GT40 heads (reworked) of course, GT40 intakes, a Trickflow, or alphabet cam, and offroad X or H pipe and exhaust with turndowns and you will get some decent HP and a good sound...then throw in some 3.73's for the seat of the pants dyno and BAM!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts