Modded Mustang Forums banner

Hi there, I'm new.

1K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Truth223 
#1 ·
Whats up guys? I'm new here and I know there is an intro page, but ill make my official Introduction AFTER I pick up my Mustang. Anyways I have a question... Can anyone give any insight on to what is going on under the hood of this car? The person I am buying it from has NO idea what hes got and even called his supercharger a VORTEX. Thats the only thing he knows is that he has a supercharger... Sorry the pic is small, its the way he sends them. ill take more Wednesday when I look at the car... btw its 2002 GT coupe

#4 ·
O.O Thanks. I wonder if the guy only put a supercharger on this thing... Or do you have to at least have some other mods before you get the supercharger? If so what do you guys think I should work on once I get it? I put some money into my 96' VW Golf 2.0 (god i wish i didn't), but I for sure wanna drop some cash on this mustang. .. I don't know much about what goes on under the hood myself, but I wanna learn!

#5 ·
Welcome Man...I think I see a different intake plenum, maybe a throttle body...haha but either way, it's got a Vortech...You're good :) I'd say look into getting a tune and some gears if it doesn't have them

#6 ·
Welcome, its a pain in the ass buying cars with mods done to them, especially a supercharger. The motor looks dirty, but besides the obvious supercharger, looks like a different throttle body, and upper plenum. Im sure he has some exhaust work done.

If you do buy the car, hopefully it comes with a handheld tuner. Your best bet is to take it to take it to a reputable dyno shop, have them dyno it. See what kind of power its making, how much boost, but more importantly, your air fuel ratio, if the fuel supply is there, if the MAF isnt pegged etc....

Any more pictures of the car?

#7 ·
Wow thanks for the quick response. I'm going to drive the car for the first time tomorrow, so I can take pics then. Any parts of the car that I should take close ups of? I have a couple pics of the back and front, I just wish I knew an easier way to host pictures from my iPhone.

#8 ·
With the iPhone, just email them to yourself, then save them to your computer, and upload with photobucket.

If the car is a 5 speed, make sure the car shifts okay. No gears are grinding.

Take it out for a spin, see how it drives, handles, brakes etc..... I would just be concerned on the setup. What the fuel supply is, if the car was ever dyno tuned, how the MAF is doing, all that stuff.

Check underneathe the car to see the exhaust, youll be able to tell with the cats. If theres none, then its an off road midpipe, either X or H (or Prochamber) if it has 2, its an aftermarket one with high flow cats. If it has 4, then its stock.

I would just take the car out for a good 45 minute ride, to make sure nothings wrong. It doesnt overheat, or any of that bs

#10 ·
Car doesnt look bad. Looks like Cobra R rims, which look good on it. Spoiler delete looks nice. The billet grill isnt my thing, but its not a bad looking car.

Hard to say, but the exhaust looks aftermarket, the tips anyways but its hard to say.

#11 ·
Smooth looking car! Take a picture of underneath the car (middle so we can see the exhaust), and as many pictures of the engine as you can. Honestly, the more pictures the better we don't mind :)
Mileage? And idea how long ago the supercharger was installed? Get a picture of the tag on the supercharger itself so it can be ID'd.

This site will give you more than enough information about that car. Just use the search function and you'll be in brain overload before you know it :lol

And, I have a photobucket app on my iphone, haven't used it yet.

#12 ·
I test drove the car today, and this thing is FAST and LOUD its faster than any of the Infinitis that I drive at work everyday... maybe not the m56s, but whatever...so fast it made my stomach turn a little.... It was amazing and I am in love... i got some pics but it was getting dark so i didn't get everything i wanted..

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Tell me what you see/ think please :D

#13 ·
car is acually a lot cleaner then I thought. The only thing I would do when and if you get it, is get a handheld, and bring it to a shop to get a dyno tune. Just to be safe, make sure everything is good. You do have a wideband on there which is good. You want an 11.5-11.8 afr at WOT. But its not just Air fuel ratio. Timing is very important, fuel pump duty cycle, if your MAF is okay etc....

#15 ·
Idk how many miles? Id say around $10000.

The car is nice, you need to try to find out more. How much power, boost, exhaust, fuel setup, maf setup, all that helps

#17 ·
lmao, any of the previous owners info? Be good to get in touch with him. I would say 9k with the mileage. Its not that high, just looks higher then it is. Eagle has 145k + on his procharged GT.

#20 ·
Yeah thats true, good call. I saw that and thought nothing of it.

Regardless though, I would still get a dyno tune to make sure. It could be the difference between it being safe, or it not lasting to long.

#22 ·
deff a nice car but like shaun said a bunch of times if you get it bring it to a dyno and get it tuned so you know everything about the car, a dyno tune will tell you a lot as far as fuel,boost,afr,timing, yada yada yada.... ask the guy if it has a chip or a handheld, hopefully it has a chip or a handheld so you dont have to buy another one for a new tune

#23 ·
Welcome to the forum. Great pictures. The car looks like it has been taken car of. You said the previous owner didn't mod it but likes fast cars and bought it the way it is. How many miles did he drive it? If he didn't mod it and he has driven it a while then that is an indication that it was modded correctly. Have your mechanics check it out. Make sure there's no smoke from the tail pipes and that the transmission doesn't grind when you shift gears. Does it have an automatic or manual transmission?

Like others have said, it appears to be a non-intercooled Vortech system. A BBK throttle body and plenum (most likely 75mm). I didn't see any cats but I didn't see long-tubes either so it probably just has an off-road mid-pipe. (Are there inspections in Arizona?). The A/F ratio gauge is a good sign that it was tuned correctly. It meant they cared about getting it right. But, SCT makes both chips and hand helds so they could have used either one. I'd still get in on a dyno and have it checked out before driving it hard.

If I were to guess you are probably running 8 lbs of boost and around 340-350 rwhp (that's around 400-412 hp at the crank). Some have pushed non-intercooled systems to 10 psi. But most were 6-8.

P.S. I'm not taking any pictures of my engine bay. :no

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.