Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I bought a SEt of 8K HID headlights and fog lights. I installed last friday and they worked perfect I loved them. I washed the car on sunday, and sunday night on the way home everything was fine. Later sunday night I went out to move my car for the wife and i noticed one of the Fog lights wasnt working. So i popped the hood and juggled the conector a little bit. turned that lights off and back on, and the all came on so i made sure they were all plugged in good and taped them all up with electrical tape. Monday night the fog that went out came on for a few seconds and then went out and it hasnt came back on since no matter what I do. now tonight Im driving the car with the one fog out, and get home and shut the lights off. Well the only fog that works cut out but the head lights stayed on even after i turned the car off. turned the car back on played with the light switch a little bit and the driver side finaly went out, but the pass side stayed on. dont understand it cause they are both hooked up to the factory passenger side plug. i couldnt get the driver side light to come back on after it went out. I felt down where the wire and everything for the HID are hidden behind the passenger headlamp. I could feel a little moisture, and am not sure where its coming from? Felt like the wires had condensation? It has been very Humid the past 2 days. Anyways the only way I could get the Passenger headlight to go out was untape the plug and unplug it. I plugged it back in and turned the lights on all came on (except for that one fog) and then went off when I turned them off. I dont know whats going on someone help please!

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Dude. I don't know d*ck about electrical anything. Someone will help you out. To me just thinking about it, hurts my head.

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
Shoot a message to SlowV6. He knows a lot about HIDs and he should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i have that problem with HIDs, my passenger headlight on low beam, itll work some of the time and other times it wont, connections are fine and everything, idk either.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
First of all you have to check the fuses. It's possible that one poped.
Also, look at your wires and make sure none of them are bare (OR TOUCHING EACH OTHER)
Another thing to keep your eye on is the HID kit connectors. They have to plug into the cars
Existing sockets very well. Sometimes the don't make full contact and won't give the HID enough juice.
What I did on mine was cut out the cars stock plug then cut about 1inch of the Lo beam & ground wires Insulation and wire them to the HID kit (-)(+) wires directly using electrical tape.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i have that problem with HIDs, my passenger headlight on low beam, itll work some of the time and other times it wont, connections are fine and everything, idk either.
Sometimes the connectors/sockets SEEM like they are fine but you have to follow your wires
And make sure they are making full contact. Ground (negative) wires are something to
Keep and eye on because most of the time its a bad GROUND wire
Causing your light to dim out or not power up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What it sounds like to me is that you have your HID's in some way running off the same ballast. Like your two headlights are running off of one ballast and your two fogs are running off one ballast. I long time ago I too washed my engine bay only to find out that my HID"S would not work when I turned them on. The key to washing your engine bay and this is JMO. Have everything running to close the circuit so that if water gets in there it won't be much of a problem. Its worked for me so not really sure if it will work for others. And try to trouble shoot your problem by switching the fog ballast to the headlights and vice versa to see if that will fix the problem. Right now I am running 4 independent ballast in my 07 GT and the reason behind that is because its so much easier to replace one failed ballast then to have to wait for a new one to come in its place. You would have to run just either fogs or heads but at least you won't be running an odd number of HID's. If you got a kit that only runs 2 ballast for 4 lights your possibly going to run into some issues when it comes to washing your engine bay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
oh yeh Defiant is right check the fuses because sometimes when you turn on your HID's there is a good amount of surge that ignites the HID's If the fuses blows or the relay inside the ballast is gone then your going to have constant current running even when the lights are off

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not have trouble with them coming on (besides the one fog) getting the headlights to turn off was the problem. I also am running 4 independent ballast. I didnt clean the engine bay just the out side of the car. The Moisture is only on the Passenger side where everuthing for the Headlights hook up its right by the Windshield waser fluid, I checked the cap on that Anyway it could be leaking?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yeh Defiant is right check the fuses because sometimes when you turn on your HID's there is a good amount of surge that ignites the HID's If the fuses blows or the relay inside the ballast is gone then your going to have constant current running even when the lights are off
OK thanks man Im goone check everything over again when I get home. Whats confusing is when I unplugged them and plugged them back in, The worked like normal? Still no idea why the one fog quite after 1 day of use

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well if anything it might be that bulb that blew or it could be the ballast. Just take one good ballast and plug it into the fog to see if it works and take one good bulb in plug into the potential bad ballast. You should get an idea on what the problem is. Hope it works out for you. I know this is all that your going to be thinking about during your day. It happens to all of us....I hate driving thinking all my HID's are working only to find out that one is off. Makes your car look like it was produce out of Wal-mart or something haha

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your right there man, it's all iv been able to think about today! I sure hope it's just a fuse!

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Possibly a fuse, I had that problem with my old audi when I did the fogs, the ballast wiring was like crimped and it would flicker on and off randomly. So I undid the zipties and bam, worked perfect.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had that happen, ended up being a blown ballast. The damn light would work then it wouldnt and sometimes it would just start blinking going down the road, it was fricking anoying.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I checked There are deff no blown Fuses. The only thing I can find that was wrong twith the head lights is they were a little moist. Worked fine all evening, and its super dry now...The fog i Untaped and unplugged. I noticed that the Stock plug plastic is broke. I plugged it back in and sqeezed them together with some force and taped it to gether where it wouldnt move. Turned the fogs on and Wham they both come on. Im thinking hot damn! Turn the lights and the car off and go inside. Go back 10 min later turn the fogs on, only the passenger side comes on. WTF FML! I noticed That if i Jiggle the connecter where it connects the the factory plug, it will flicker on and off. Only if i unplug aqnd plug back in before i turn the car on. IF I turn the car on and then the lights the one fog wont come on even if I jiggle it. WTH is going on? Is it just the conector? If so what can I do To fix it?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Cut your sockets and wire the ballast (-)(+) wires directly to your (+)(-) stock wires.
I say its not making good contact.
I wish I was there to fix your problem man.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the help man! I think im gonne try a Zip tie on each side with two zipties tied between the two on the end and zip them together that way they are constantly being held together! If that doesnt work Im gonna do what you suggested. Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks man Reps!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts