Modded Mustang Forums banner

HID

684 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Ummblah123 
#1 ·
If I get an HID kit with both halogen and HID where the halogen is the low beam switch and the HID is the high beam switch how do I make the HID work? I just bought a kit and the halogen part works but when I hit the high beams the light shuts off because the HID aren't kicking in. The guy who had the car before me must of had and HID kit because my right light harness is saudered on or something could that be the problem?

Also can I just buy a new light harness and attach the factory wires to it and fix that problem? Thanks guys.

#2 ·
What headlights do you have? Are they the factory headlights or some aftermarket headlights? I'm confused as how you have 2 bulbs if it's factory.

Also if you have one HID bulb and one halogen bulb, the HID should be the low beam. HIDs don't like to be turned on and off (like you do w/ your high beams). If you do, they burn out quickly.

#3 ·
If you have a set of the projector style aftermarket headlights your High beam should be a H1 and the low beam is a projector stuffed with a H3 right? if so read the next paragraph. if you got one of the hybrid HID kits with a halogen capsule on the side of the HID bulb, face palm your self, send it back and get a better kit. :) Sorry, couldnt resist...

the way I got my aftermarkt projectors to work with my HID kit was to cut a small hole in the back of the housings so that i could run the HID pigtails out the back. then I spliced another 9007 female plug to the factory wiring and only hooked up teh low beam and ground lead to the new one, and left ony the High beam and a ground on the old one. this way I was able to plug in both my halogen (High Beam) wiring that came with the aftermarket projector housings, and the HID kit to the new plug I spliced in.

If you need more help, let me know and I will take pics and write a bit more detailed tomorrow.. Im stuck at work for today, but will be off work the next two days.

but if you really want good HID.... i have solutions for that as well. See sig. :)

#4 ·
No sorry I must have explained wrong, I bought an HID kit that has a halogen bulb and an HID bulb, when I put it in my car the HID wouldn't turn on but the Halogen would, I think it could be my harness because the guy before me did some bad splicing looking job to the harness. And Stock Headlight housing, and I don't have the money for projectors and any really good HID unfortunately =/ So i'll have to stick with the cheaper HID kit's, I was just wondering if our cars take them weird.

#7 ·
You have it backwards. The xenon bulb is supposed to be your default low beam and the halogen bulb is supposed to be hooked up to the high beams and is only for inspection purposes. They really don't have high beams. Bi-xenon are the only HID bulbs that have both Hi and Low beams.

Your halogen bulb is kinda sticking out to the side right? It's not inside the cover/reflector? That means the light can't be aimed properly, its only to pass inspection so when they say "turn on your high's" your lights change.

As for your problem, just switch the outside wires in your harness so your HID's come on when oyu turn on your low beams. You should be fine. I don't know why your High's aren't working, check your connections? Those pins are fragile and can be finicky.

#8 ·
Fallingreasons, that is exactly what it's like, I knew the halogen didn't really do anything (no real high beam) and that's why I was wondering why the HID is on the high beam and not the low beam (it came that way) so how would I switch it from high to low beam? and thanks for your input guys but I already got the kit, so maybe when this one dies I'll just go all out and get new headlights with an excellent hid kit, but for now this will have to do, I think they still look good, if it would work on my car! lol

#9 ·
You can switch which bulb the low and high's turn on though. When you go look at your bulb harness, find the piece that has 3 dinky pins in a triangle shape, with a plastic enclosure. The 2 pins on the outside need to be reversed. the pins have little prongs so it might be hard to take them out but once you do just switch the position of the outside 2 pins. This will reverse the bulb for the highs and lows. I installed mine backwards at first as well and just switched the pins to get the Xenon's to turn on with my regular headlights.

I think just switching the side the bulbs are on might work, (move left bulb to right and the right bulb to the left. without changing the pins.)

#10 ·
Wow thanks man that really helps! Also does anyone know where I could buy a harness for the lights? the part you plug the bulb in to the stock harness part, my right stock harness is like glued together or something from the guy before, would I just go to auto zone or does it need to be special ordered? But thanks fallingreason! reps for you!

#12 ·
Thanks for the link too, it's cheaper then I thought it would be, thanks for all your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.