Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get an HID kit this weekend, just wondering what your guys's experiences with them are.? are they worth it, and i have heard people say they dont work good in our stock headlight housings. by the way it is a 6000k high/low kit

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
HID's don't work well in refractor/reflector/diffuser housings, whatever you want to call them. They're designed to work in projector housings. Sometimes you get lucky and they will put more light to the road in a diffuser housing, sometimes they just scatter the light and you actually end up with less on the road that with a halogen. If you use a diffuser housing, there's a good chance you'll blind oncoming traffic with the glare. Properly aimed HID's in a projector housing don't glare nearly as much as the ones that some guy just threw in his car that had diffuser housings. 6000k is a decent bulb to get. 4300k is the brightest and whitest and the higher you go up in temp, the more blue and purple the light gets and the less lumens it puts out. If it's a cheap ebay kit, stay away from it. I've seen very high failure rates with them even right out of the box. The ballasts crap out often with the cheap ones.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have HID's in my car. I only got them because I went for the dark smoked headlight lenses from American Muscle and figured a brighter light behind it will even out the brightness. Overall, they are brighter but fogged is right, they basically scatter the light all over and although theyre nice when its pitch black out, they're not that much better than what I had stock. Projectors would make the light beam straighter but Im not a big fan of how they make our cars look.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i got them in my fox, they fit good and i like them.. ive bought them for all my past vehicles, no problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i have them and i cant get them to aim right. im glad i didnt buy them thought. they came with the car. i probably wont buy any ever. they just are aimed right at the ground its terriable.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have smoke headlights too thats why i am looking at HiD's, im buying them from a private guy, they are off of ebay but that set from DDm tuning isnt any more expensive than the ebay ones. if they allow me to see any better than the stockers than i would be happy with that. I can see fairly well right now with just cool blue headlights in it but i dont think its where it should be. but then again i dont wanna blind oncoming traffic either, he wants to meet up today and i think this is just gonna be me taking a chance.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright guys well i took a cahnce and went and got them, they were plug and play, and they are AWESOME, the high beam turns on the HID and the low beam are regular halogens which dont do much cause with my smoke headlights you cant see much with them on, but the HID is great, i can see everything, the light may be scattered but i have never had projectors so i cant tell the difference between the straight line and scattered but i like them regardless, and 6000k is perfect, kind of like the standard luxury car lights. im really impressed by this kit, the ballasts are zip tied right now but tomorrow im going to go out and find a good place to permanently mount them

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just have one more question, can anybody confirm to the way these function? i have HID for high beam and halogen for low, does this seem right, also the bulbs have two bulbs built into one, one is a halogen and the other is HID

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
i just have one more question, can anybody confirm to the way these function? i have HID for high beam and halogen for low, does this seem right, also the bulbs have two bulbs built into one, one is a halogen and the other is HID
Usually they're the opposite; HID for the low and halogen for the high.
Many companies offer kits like this because they're cheaper to produce and with HID lows the high beams aren't needed as much.

True bi-xenon kits only have one HID bulb and just change the light output for the highs by using a solenoid to move a shield out of the way or physically change the focal point of the light.

That's ebay stuff. If it was a real kit they both would be HID bulbs. Not talking ****, just saying.
A "real" kit would have a bi-xenon projector with Phillips ballasts and D2S bulbs. All of the aftermarket stuff is different and ebay, like many other sources for HIDs, offers various kits. Labeling one style of kit as coming from eBay is just ignorant. About 90% of the aftermarket HID kits you can find online are produced in 2 factories overseas.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Labeling one style of kit as coming from eBay is just ignorant. About 90% of the aftermarket HID kits you can find online are produced in 2 factories overseas.
How does that prove they are good? To me, it confirms that 90% of them are crap just like the 90% of the knockoff cheap Chinese stuff that is all over ebay. That's not being ignorant, that is from experience.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Lol, you proved my point. 90% of the kits are made in China and most of them sell on ebay. I used to work for a place that sold them and we used to get them from all kinds of different suppliers, all the same junk you see on ebay. It's all the same quality in different boxes or different shaped ballasts. If you want a real kit, you get a phillips, or deal with the appalling return rate all the other stuff has. It's a crapshoot with all the garbage out there. I've gone through 3 cheap kits myself until I got one that didn't crap out, but I worked for the place so returning was as easy as grabbing another kit and swapping it out. Most people don't have that luxury.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm well at least i know that they are working how they should, i could give **** less if one is halogen and the other is HID, i just leave the high beams on and it lights up the whole road. I'm happy, now the test is to see how long they are gonna last, one thing i have noticed is tonight when i went out i started the car up and then turned the headlights on and the HID's were dimmer than they usually are or about 10 seconds, but i guess this is just them warming up. i checked on ebay and this kit that is sold is pretty good quality, the brand is called "Tenon lighting system"

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Lol, you proved my point. 90% of the kits are made in China and most of them sell on ebay. I used to work for a place that sold them and we used to get them from all kinds of different suppliers, all the same junk you see on ebay. It's all the same quality in different boxes or different shaped ballasts. If you want a real kit, you get a phillips, or deal with the appalling return rate all the other stuff has. It's a crapshoot with all the garbage out there. I've gone through 3 cheap kits myself until I got one that didn't crap out, but I worked for the place so returning was as easy as grabbing another kit and swapping it out. Most people don't have that luxury.
Cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad. Most HIDs don't function correctly because of poor install which people blame on the hardware.

I've installed 14 or 15 eBay HID kits and none have ever had a single problem. Yeah most of the kits are the same but there really aren't other options available for anywhere near the price. I've yet to see anyone on this forum pay the price for HIDs like you'd get from the factory.

I still don't understand why you automatically label them as from eBay though. Having worked for a company that sold them I think you'd understand that the middle-man has nothing to do with it when the supplier is the same. You can buy any range of quality on eBay whereas most commercial stores that sell them only offer low quality kits.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Because ebay = crap for the most part. You really have to sift through all the knock-off to find anything worth anything these days... and how the hell to you poorly install an HID kit? it's plug and play, lol. Unless you get better the ones with the external power harness, which people unfortunately hardly ever do. For the most part, you can't screw up the install. Some have the wires backwards in the clip, but that's not the fault of the person installing them. I've installed 100's of them, for a stereo shop. When there was a problem, they came right back. 99% of the time is was the ballasts. and I would say probably close to 40% of the kits that went in, had some kind of issue. Some bad right out of the box, and some come back weeks or months later with bad ballasts. We went so far as to stop mounting the ballasts to the chassis of the car and started zip tying them wire harnesses because we were hoping it was the vibrations that were killing them, lol. After a while we just stopped selling anything but phillips kits to people with cars that had to have the front bumper removed to get at the headlight bulbs. We were losing money in labor doing r&r's on those things.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
^^^ LOL..... there is a place by my house called FX-AA and they make their own HID ballast, bulbs , LEDs etc. Their warehouse is right there and they do not sell to other local shops. The quality of their products is great. EBay stuff does suck. All US sellers buy from Hong kong and sell the product at twice the price sometimes triple. It's all the same crap. Buying cheap **** turns out to be expensive at the end.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
HID lights look terrible on anything but top end luxury vehicles.

FACT. BRAH.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've done hundreds of kits also. I would say about 30% of ballasts have gone out within the first 6 months. I have hid kits on all my cars and bike. I love them. To the op, your pins have to be changed, like stated above the high beam is the halogen one. And I suggest relays as these cars are known for having headlight switch problems. There is one shop on eBay that I used to get the kits from that said they were U.S. made. They shipped out of California, I never had one single bad ballast.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
^^^ LOL..... there is a place by my house called FX-AA and they make their own HID ballast, bulbs , LEDs etc. Their warehouse is right there and they do not sell to other local shops.
You mean they DISTRIBUTE/SALE imported bulbs, ballasts, etc with a sticker and a retail box that has their own company name on them. No different then everyone else that imports them from China. The Chinese/HK suppliers will put your custom stickers on them and design and put them in your custom retail box before they are even shipped out. But.. you get the piece of mind with dealing with a local company you can go back to for support and complaints if you have problems and if they want to stay in business, they will test and monitor the quality of their imports on a routine basis. Something that many of the "ebay" only importers care nothing about.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts