Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

The point of engagement on my clutch has been slowly working it's way upward. This is my first standard, so I'm not very familiar with clutches. Does this mean I need a new clutch, or is there an adjustment somewhere?

Car has 57k miles, purchased with 32k. 2008 GT. I'm assuming it's the original clutch.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
There's no clutch cable on 2005+ cars. Probably just normal wear on the clutch disk and/or the hydraulic slave cylinder. If you don't race it, I'd just drive it till you feel the clutch start slipping then replace it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Our Hydraulic clutch has no cable nor adjustment and typically engages on the high side..

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hmm. Mine seems to be at the bottom of the travel. It has gotten lower over time

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
It's all hydraulic and if part of the hydraulic system begins to fail, your engagement would be closer to the floor. The only way a problem causing it to engage up higher would likely be a mechanical issue with the pressure plate or disc which I doubt, especially if you do not hear any strange noises or vibrations, etc...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all hydraulic and if part of the hydraulic system begins to fail, your engagement would be closer to the floor. The only way a problem causing it to engage up higher would likely be a mechanical issue with the pressure plate or disc which I doubt, especially if you do not hear any strange noises or vibrations, etc...
Very weird. It is really close to the end of the pedal movement. It's got maybe half an inch between when it starts to grab and when it is fully out. I would prefer if it was closer to the middle.

No strange noises or anything. I'll keep my ears open though.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
That's odd because when the pedal is fully up, you have half inch or an inch of free play before it really stiffens on the down stroke. These cars are known for high clutch engagement. How does it shift at high R's? I'm talking like 6000.

Also, try sitting still in your driveway and watch the pedal with your eyes and see exactly how far it travels from the floor upward before it starts to grab. Another thing is with the engine off, on an incline and in gear, watch how far you have to step down before the clutch disengages and allows the car to start drifting just so we can get an accurate idea of your situation. What you feel when driving may look different when your eyes are on the pedal.

If you had a worn disc you would know by having the transmission in a higher gear like 4th while traveling too slowly like 30mph or 5th at 35mph and stomp the go pedal hard. Do that while traveling up a hill. That would make it slip if it's worn.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I purchased my car with 30k miles and it now has 95k miles. My Clutch too feels like it has started engaging higher over time. Im with you. I don't notice any slipping. Usually I do a dig run and it makes the clutch feel better. Flog the **** out of it one good time and see if the clutch feels any different lol. Just means your babying it to much, rough the clutch up a bit with home high rpm shifting. It helps me out, well at least it tricks me into thinking so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts