Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im still in the process of my engine build. the machine shop is almost done with my block (finally). doing a TFS head teksid block deal. i still need to figure out what to run for chain guides, chains, cam gears etc. looking to make 800+

also, what are my options for oil pumps? cobra pump with billet gears?

·
13,573 Posts
Ford OEM chains and guides will be perfectly fine. Yes you need Billet oil pump gears for sure.

·
Down for the count
2,018 Posts
Not a high HP guy, but keep the timing stuff stock. Minus the iron tensioners.

Get TSS gears in a Cobra pump. Don't go with a cheaper brand. You'll regret it.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For 800hp nothing special. Go with the metal Ford tensioners and guides. Since you're using a Teksid do the dowel pin upgrade. They've got flimsy little M6 studs and the upgraded ones go to M8 like the iron and later blocks.

If you need adjustment I went with the TFS crank gears.
noob question, why exactly would i need adjustment if everything is timed properly? and is it better to have adjustable crank gears? cam gears? both?

·
Down for the count
2,018 Posts
noob question, why exactly would i need adjustment if everything is timed properly? and is it better to have adjustable crank gears? cam gears? both?
You need adjustment to degree your cams. When you just line up the dots, intake or exhaust events can be several degrees off.

TFS crank gears are very popular. Some brands of cam gears can slip and cause you to kiss a valve.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
When you degree in cams you need to have adjustable crank gears, or cam gears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts