Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm trying to join the clan with a Mustang but am having a hard time finding one for the right price. The ones in my price range, which is low due to the fact that I'm a college student, all either miles between 65-90,000, or have been in an accident/have a rebuilt title. What is there to do?! Anyone have a S197 with higher miles? how do they hold up? Is buying a car with a rebuilt title a bonehead move? ITS SO TEMPTING!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
the rebuilt ones may have a tweaked unibody.. other than that any time there is an accident the wiring in car somehow goes to shits things just dont work right but it is all a crapshoot. The only way to really know the extent of the damage is to look under the skin(the body parts).

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
My car has 50k of the hardest miles you will EVER see a car go through. Drive it every single day, has over 400 passes on it at the track too...........VERY tough cars. 07stanggt has 100k miles on his or something like that. Its also one of the fastest naturally aspirated s197 3Vs on the road.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Wow whats funny is I was about to ask the same question. Ive really been looking into a higher milage s197 as a dd. Ive found one with 70k, I know my old 03 gt just kept going and going.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
the 4.6 is a good long lasting motor

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
70K+ here...

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm at 62000 with over 30000 blower miles and probably over 250 track passes and about 10 over 1000 mile road trips... I've gone through 1 differential and 1 stock 5R55.... Recently I had a minor accident at the track and luckily it only suffered cosmetic damage... These cars are alot tougher than most expect! Get one.

S197 FTMFW

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
if you're afraid of buying one with high mileage, just wait until you can afford one with lower mileage. make a decision you wont regret

·
Registered
535 Posts
These Mustangs are very well built and for the most part trouble free. There are all kinds of parts available at really reasonable prices from take-off parts to parts removed by owners that are modding their cars and most are very affordable. I own an 07 GT that has never had a problem, other than a minor flaw in the paint, although it's only been driven 10k miles. My daughter has an 02 GT that's just turned 100k and it still looks and drives like new. It's been trouble free and I wouldn't hesitate to drive this car across the country if I had to. I do like the 05-09 model better and think it's a better built and roomier, more comfortable car. Don't buy any car with a rebuilt title no matter how tempted you are because of the price. Not only are they much tougher to sell if you have to, but dealers won't even take them in trade. There is also a safety factor- some rebuilt cars have ripped apart when they've been wrecked into, it's just not something worth taking a chance on. There are too many nice Mustangs around.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I agree about rather having milage than a salvage title... But If you cant afford an S197 with reasonably low miles why not look into a nice low milage new edge. I have seen alot of people settle for things they didnt want to try and get the car they want within their budget ( ie buying a V6 cause you could afford the GT, going high miles because you wanted a new body style, ect... ). This isnt 100% directed at the OP but more everyone. If you cant afford a nice version of what you want then maybe you should be more open to what it is that you want and evalute if you can actually afford what it is that your looking for.

Just my 0.02 take what you want and leave the rest...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey guys, I'm trying to join the clan with a Mustang but am having a hard time finding one for the right price. The ones in my price range, which is low due to the fact that I'm a college student, all either miles between 65-90,000, or have been in an accident/have a rebuilt title. What is there to do?! Anyone have a S197 with higher miles? how do they hold up? Is buying a car with a rebuilt title a bonehead move? ITS SO TEMPTING!
I would buy one with 60K to 100K miles on it if there was no history of accidents and the seller could show you they didn't mess with it and kept it serviced as to Ford's maintenance guide. Modern engines are not at all like the classics which when you got to 100K, they were toast. I have buddies who have big commutes who run up like 300K+ miles with only minor repairs.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
i have 34k... doesnt really help. at all.

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
Mine has 71800 on her. No problems what so ever. I put 40k miles on it the in 2006 (The year I bought it) and that includes about 15 trips to the track that year. I have a DD now but this used to be my DD and I drove it through a Chicago winter. Wasn't as bad as I expected, but it still wasn't any fun. I have since bought a 4WD ranger that I use as my DD/Bad weather vehicle.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
It'll all depend on how well it was taken care of by previous owner, and just plain luck.
Like he said.

Mileage in a sense doesn't mean much. Most of my 100k are highway miles, I know thats what everbody says. You could have one dogged out at 50k if its mostly stop and go city miles the guy is just running it 20 times a week at the track etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts