Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so any help or advice you guys can give I would greatly appreciate...Here is the deal..I just recently traded in my 04 V6 for an 03 GT (Yes! - finally a V8:)) with complete exterior (03/04) Cobra conversion kit (except the rear spoiler which i plan to get in the near future). I am from GA and I drove to Orlando to get it. When i saw it in sitting in the lot for the first time it was like love at first sight..lol...Thankfully I was able to get a good deal for it. I plan on doing some mods this summer to it when i can build my funds back up. The car is an phenomenal condition and could very easily pass for a car with 30-50K miles on it (honestly). The only problem is it has 140K on it :( I understand however that if taken care of and not abused (which this car doesn't seem to have been at all) these engines will last 200k plus miles. MY QUESTION IS THIS: the main performance mod I plan on doing this summer is a 2.1L kenne bell supercharger kit...do you think having that many miles on the engine is going to be a problem with adding a supercharger??? I know i could look into getting a completely new or slightly used engine, but then I'm going to be spending alot more money. I would love to get an 03/04 cobra engine and tranny but i know that will usually run 7-9k, and thats alot more than just adding a supercharger.

Plus, I've heard that the stock 2V engine that I have usually can handle no more than approx 450rwhp. Is this correct? And if so, do you think having as many miles as i do on my car going to factor into how long I can run a supercharger set up with roughly 400-425rwhp??? (im not really interested in getting forged pistons/rods/etc. = too much money right now)

My current mods include a Borla Stinger Catback w/ o/r H-pipe and an Accufab upper intake with an Accufab t-body too I believe. ONE LAST QUESTION: will the kenne bell setup with these already existing mods put me over the max HP limit for my engine???

Thanks for reading all this and for any advice!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Idk much about KB blowers except that your in boost at low RPMs, which means youll be in boost just about all the time your driving your car so the boost will stress the car out a bit more.

If you were to get a centri blower like a procharger D1SC with the mods you already have you could run about 9 10 lbs and get to about 400hp which would be what your looking for. The SC should be cheaper too but your losing the low RPM boost factor.

So basically with a centri you can drive up to about 2500-3000 with no boost and not stress the car then when you wanna get on it its there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I understand that. I honestly like the idea of the Kenne Bell more just because of the respect people have for it - and its a BEAST...lol..but im lookin at the centri blowers too...Did you mean the sc will be cheaper than an engine swap???..when you said "The SC should be cheaper too but your losing the low RPM boost factor."

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think a Procharger D1SC should be cheaper than a Kenne Bell. Getting a new motor is alot more work and would cost alot unless you can find one at a junkyard or something and the chances youll find one with low miles and in great shape is slim..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what are some of the better centri blowers to your knowledge??? From what I've seen the Vortech superchargers seem pretty good - there featured on americanmuscle.com so they gotta be pretty good/reliable.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
vortec seem to be what most people run. search around cause you can find some good deals. my buddy got a complete v2 for $1500 on craigslist

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Idk much about KB blowers except that your in boost at low RPMs, which means youll be in boost just about all the time your driving your car so the boost will stress the car out a bit more.

If you were to get a centri blower like a procharger D1SC with the mods you already have you could run about 9 10 lbs and get to about 400hp which would be what your looking for. The SC should be cheaper too but your losing the low RPM boost factor.

So basically with a centri you can drive up to about 2500-3000 with no boost and not stress the car then when you wanna get on it its there.
Holy ****, people need to stop posting **** they know nothing about.

You can bring the car up to 6000rpm and not be in boost. It depends on how much throttle effort you give it.

A centri blower is alittle safer on the stock motor, but still boost is boost. With the stock motor a Kenne Bell would be a lot of fun.

I would think about, right after buying the Kenne Bell, start saving up for a built shortblock. Just to be safe. The car could last 80000 miles with the Kenne Bell on it, or it could last 20000, who knows.

·
Full Frontal Nudity
1,725 Posts
^^^^ the only way that would happen is if you were balls out pedal to the metal all the damn time.

Saving for the built motor is always good, because eventually you will want...Moar Powah!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shaun03GT...by sayin that the motor might last 8000 or 20000 miles...are you implying that the motor will not last as long because it is supercharged? because i was planning on getting alot more than just another 20k miles outta my engine...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
disregard that last message...i thought you put 8k miles but u obviously put 80K...my bad:eek:

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
That's precisely what he's saying. Best bet is to put the money going to the KB into a shortblock first, then go for the KB. Alternatively, try your luck, but a lot rests on the supporting mods to ensure that your engine doesn't give up on you prematurely. You need appropriate cams and more than anything else, a very good tune.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would getting a new short block be basically the same thing as getting a new engine? sorry if thats a dumb question..If not, what are the big differences? Here is a link to a short block I found:

4.6L Ford CHP Pro-Street Short Block

let me know if this is what you are talking about...they also have a street fire version that is rated up to 450HP but the one in the link is rated up to 600HP range but is also almost $800 more...

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Modular Mustang Racing
In a way its kinda like getting a new engine its just the lower half of the engine. You can use your old heads and bolt them onto the new block that consist of rods, pistons ,crank etc all the moving parts. so its in a way like getting a new motor.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK thanks!...is the CHP Pro-Street shortblock in my previous post in your opinion better/worst than the 4.6 MMR Street Mod 600 short block off of Modular Mustang Racing site in your post? the price looks better off of MMR ($2,299 compared to $3,499), but i noticed that it came with a cast iron crankshaft - is cast iron the same as a steel crankshaft? (because ive been told its good to get a steel crankshaft). If not which is better, or does it matter?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
It all depends man. The motor could last a while, depends really on 3 thongs. Maintenance, tune (huge factor) and your driving style. If you beat the shot out of if, it won't last that long. By beating the shot out of it, I mean getting on it all the time.

I've heard awful awful things from chp (coast high performance) I would look elsewhere. Mmr, dss, etc are better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MMR seems to be a pretty reputable company...if I got a shortblock i would probably order from them...ideally I wouldnt want to have to upgrade right now to a new shortblock and i rather just get the 2.1L IC kenne bell setup that i want...probably just because im impatient and just want power now..lol..im only looking to get probably 400~rwhp out of my car...im still in college so i plan on using this car as my dd for the next 2-3 yrs until i get something else..so ill probably put roughly another 30k~ miles on my car maybe...do you think my car should be ok as long as i do a compression check on my cylinders and routine maintenance???

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
While it is true that some 4.6L 2v are running at 450 rwhp a lot of them are blowing up at 415-430 rwhp. All of the tuners I've talked to say to go no higher that 370-380 rwhp on a daily driver. On the forum, the general consensus is 400 rwhp. To go above that you need other supporting mods like cams, heads, exhaust. Before you decide what to do get a compression test on your motor.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if i were to get the 2.1L Kenne Bell Intercooled Kit what psi would you then recommend..the default is 9psi i believe..which they claim will output 405HP and 427 tq...if this is too much can you just tune it to output less or should I switch to the 6psi pulley which they claim outputs 351HP and 366TQ? If you think the 6psi would be better, then would it be ok if i get the non-intercooled kit or should i still get the intercooled? i only think they recommend the intercooler for the 9psi+ kits...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
While it is true that some 4.6L 2v are running at 450 rwhp a lot of them are blowing up at 415-430 rwhp. All of the tuners I've talked to say to go no higher that 370-380 rwhp on a daily driver. On the forum, the general consensus is 400 rwhp. To go above that you need other supporting mods like cams, heads, exhaust. Before you decide what to do get a compression test on your motor.
It depends on the driver. Some guy had his GT tuned for 520rwhp but the only time he got on it was at the track. Last I heard it had been 30k and he was still on the same tune, car, engine.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts