Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to eventually build up a sick 4.2l V6 engine. Any tips for me just starting on the early planning stages...
I work at a shop where I could quite easily come into a 4.2l engine! I want to run split port heads possibly aftermarket. and One of the intakes from Super Six Motorsports. What internals, cam, valves, headers, turbo kit, etc.? Any and all input on my eventually build up would be appreciated.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
I'd personally lay everything out. If you correctly know how to assemble a motor and have done it previously, then knowing what parts you need should be hard...

I'd start with a 4.2 block or an 01-04 block if you can grab one, if not any 3.8block will do.

clean the block for now until you get your pistons.
order the 4.2L crank new from ford or just get a full rotating assembly from Super Six Motor Sports that has the crank, rods and pistons.
Then if your building the motor you'd might as well do it correctly with everything you want. get some ported heads from which ever company you wish to get them from. as well as split port intakes, and a good NEW camshaft that'll meet what your asking for

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Your leaving to much info out for anyone to help you. How much money are you working with...what are your plans for the car...what is your power goal...ect...ect...ect
If you are just looking for some power quick do the split port swap and put a power adder setup on it. turbo...supercharger...nitrous

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure yet...

I haven't determined a budget yet because that's part of what I'm planning. I want to be as efficiant as possible. I would like to see 500 or more rwhp. How much will I be looking at spending? I'm also thinking about an automatic to T-56 conversion....

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
I haven't determined a budget yet because that's part of what I'm planning. I want to be as efficiant as possible. I would like to see 500 or more rwhp. How much will I be looking at spending? I'm also thinking about an automatic to T-56 conversion....
your going to be looking at probably a $5,000-$10,000+budget
a t56 conversion is expensive, your better off with a good C4 tranny
the power adder I'am assuming will be a D1 procharger or a Turbo to hit that rwhp number
in that case your looking at a min. of around $400-$1000+ in fuel upgrades
the cheapest way to go is a dual pump kit and 60lb or higher lb injectors and a FPDM upgrade.
Your tranny will be about $1500 or higher between getting a tranny to old that power wether it be auto or manual. chances are your looking at more like $2k plus between the flywheel, clutch set, tranny and fluid or flex plate, convertor, trans cooler, tranny and fluid
the supercharger kit or turbo kit itself is iffy
used you can get $2k or it'll be about $5k+new depending what turbo setup you want. a new D1 kit is about $4,500 new with everything you need.
tunning will be about $500-1000
motor work-$4,000+ easy between the forged rods and pistons, balancing, rings, bearings, machine work on the block, the new cam, the heads and intakes ported.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy crap!

the power adder I'am assuming will be a D1 procharger or a Turbo to hit that rwhp number
the cheapest way to go is a dual pump kit and 60lb or higher lb injectors and a FPDM upgrade.
Your tranny will be about $1500 or higher between getting a tranny to old that power wether it be auto or manual. chances are your looking at more like $2k plus between the flywheel, clutch set, tranny and fluid or flex plate, convertor, trans cooler, tranny and fluid
used you can get $2k or it'll be about $5k+new depending what turbo setup you want. a new D1 kit is about $4,500 new with everything you need.
motor work-$4,000+ easy between the forged rods and pistons, balancing, rings, bearings, machine work on the block, the new cam, the heads and intakes ported.
Wow- I guess I better start saving! A 5 speed would probably be better with a turbo setup than a T-56, anyway, huh?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Bank loan to build car, not the smartest financial decision in the world.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Bank loan to build car, not the smartest financial decision in the world.
have to agree here never take out a loan for this sort of thing. just a bad idea.
setup an account in a bank where u deposit a little each month from a paycheck or something along those lines and then use that and that only as funds for building and you would be fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Moral: play the lotto...

I'm anxious to see how the mods to my auto feel with a slightly modded '98 3.8 to drive it. Completely rebuilt with extra clutch disks, J-mod kit, and a re-manufactured stock torque converter, and filling it with B&M Trick Shift high performance blue ATF.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Go to the bank...get a loan for 10g....build your car...done...oh, and stay with the auto and stall it.
This is why America's economy crumbled. I know you kind of re-nigged this statement but for all of those who don't know what the real issue was, its because people borrowed money for non-necessities such as this way too much, then default on payments. Same idea went across the board, as large corporations did the same.

If you can't afford to mod your car, then don't mod your car. Focus on improving your financial situation first. Being broke with a fast/nice car won't be as fun as having enough money to be comfortable and having a car that is an A to B'er.

Sorry to rant but that statement was a face palmer.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
This is why America's economy crumbled. I know you kind of re-nigged this statement but for all of those who don't know what the real issue was, its because people borrowed money for non-necessities such as this way too much, then default on payments. Same idea went across the board, as large corporations did the same.

If you can't afford to mod your car, then don't mod your car. Focus on improving your financial situation first. Being broke with a fast/nice car won't be as fun as having enough money to be comfortable and having a car that is an A to B'er.

Sorry to rant but that statement was a face palmer.
American economy did not "Crumble", we are in a resection though. lulz at you saying the economy is bad because people mod their cars.

Bottom line is you have to pay to play. Talk with people who mod their car for a living and are running real times at the track. You will see some who have their life savings tied up in an automobiles.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Yeah, I didn't say it was because people mod their cars. Read again. It is because people take out loans and use credit when they can't afford it. Look at the economy 5 years ago, then 10, then look at it today. Of course people have their lives tied up in cars, but these are generally older individuals with money to play with. Not a good idea in any case to take out a loan on car parts, then take it to the track and have it blow. Yeah, great advice.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts

dont forget that he will need to get a different rear and beef it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts