Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! REcently I painted my valve covers. After I placed them back I changed the oil like three days after. The valve covers where off the engine for like three days. After I changed the oil, this is what happenned that afternoon. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated on what this could be. A guy told me this could be a lifter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Almost sounds like a bad bearing on the idler or the alt. or something like that to me. Does not sound like a lifter to me. Something that the belt is riding on from what it sounds like on the video. Could be something in the timing chain area also. Get a stethascope for engines and probe around till you find it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I try to listen everything else including the belt but its actually coming from that driver side valve cover.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this helps I used mobile 1 extended life synthetic oil with mobile 1 filter

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow... anyone else!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I open the valve cover on that side and run the engine?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wondering if its safe to run the engine after that to see if I can find anything.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
If you don't have a stethascope, you can always use a long screwdriver, its like the backyard way of listening.. Just put the screwdriver on what ever you want to hear, and then put your ear to the backside of the screwdriver handle.. It will help you pin point where its coming from.

Afew question since I don't have speakers on my computer at work here (can't hear the video).
First does the sound change with engine RPM?
Second, does the sound have a constant pattern?, another words does it "miss a beat"? or does it seam to match an engine revolution.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just changed the oil so I am also thinking it could be "valve tapping". I was reading the Haynes Manual and it says it could be corrected by changing the oil and adding a high viscosity oil treatment. What do you guys think?
Maybe the oil I used is too thin but I am sticking to 5W-20

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking I could try that Lucas oil "oil treatment"

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Are you trying a different oil? I use the RP 5-20 and haven't noticed any new sounds.
Ive had a car with a bad lifter before, and its a constant "tick" sound, that changes with RPM and never goes away. One think you might want to look at, and it has nothing to do with valve covers or oil change, is your LTH's, header bolts do back off, maybe you have a leak? another thing is, when you did your valve covers, did you remove the dip stick? if you did, maybe that isn't tight after install or something? Im just guessing here.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just changed to that mobil 1 long life 15000 mile change one synthetic. First time with it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It does not sound like a lifter, check every pulley the belt rides on for movement and spin them and see if any sound a little rough.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Okay, I am at home so I could hear it now, after hearing the video, I would look at the idler pulleys like suggested. The only other thing that comes to mind is the VCT, Ive heard of the VCT taking a dump after doing cam's, thats why some lock them out. But since that sound only comes in at a certain RPM, I guess I would look at that after I looked the the idlers. Im not sure at what RPM the VCT does it deal, but I would not think its a cam follower or a valve tick since its not allways there.

Maybe someone who knows more about the VCT can chime in on this..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The coincidence with the oil change kept me wondering. What makes me angry is that this car hasn't even seen the track ever. I don't drive it hard either except for every once in a while I hit the gas hard. But I pretty much drive it like a grandpa.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts