Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anybody wants to make their own protein bars at home to save some money and cut the artificial b.s. out from those packaged, formulated, store-bought bars...Here ya go: [made from 6 simple ingredients]

Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: 1 bar
Calories: 368
Protein: 36g
Carbs: 31g
Fat: 11g (mostly good fats: unsaturated, mono-unsaturated, etc.)

Makes 10 protein bars:

-10 scoops whey protein (270g) [I use Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein (24g protein per scoop)]
-2.5 cups of oatmeal
-10 tablespoons of NATURAL peanut butter (a little over 2/3 cup)
-5 tablespoons of cocoa powder (about 1/3 cup)
-5 tablespoons of honey (about 1/3 cup)
-15 tablespoons of SKIM milk (just about 1 cup)

Throw all of that in a bowl, mix it up with a spoon, or press together with your hands, flatten it out as thin as you like in a pan, and then freeze till hardens [maybe 30-60 minutes] Make sure to cut this into 10 pieces to get the correct nutritional facts out of them.

You know exactly what is in your protein bar, unlike any store-bought bars, some have chocolate chips in them, chocolate coatings...its supposed to be healthy, not chocolaty...

I have yet to try coating the outside of them with flax seed but i want to try that when i get some for added protein and nutritional benefits.

If anybody has a different version or tries this out with adding some more ingredients, please let me know i would love to try.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Cool i will try this later this week

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good recipe man, I like those numbers. Do you know how many calories are in each bar?
Serving Size: 1 bar
Calories: 368
Protein: 36g
Carbs: 31g
Fat: 11g

Now, you could easily alter this to lesser if your looking for that, but right now I am sort of in the midst of a bulking stage...so i want all the calories...but by reducing the amount of peanut butter you can take away form the calories easily.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well...realizing i had all that stuff in my kitchen i just made me a batch of bars :D

lets see how they taste in around 40minutes of freeze time :yes
let me know what you think!! i think they taste alright...not too bad...you can go out and buy bars that will taste a whole lot better but they are made with a whole load of b.s. and artificial flavoring...they are also high in saturated fat (bad fats) which you really don't want if your trying to eat clean..

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
let me know what you think!! i think they taste alright...not too bad...you can go out and buy bars that will taste a whole lot better but they are made with a whole load of b.s. and artificial flavoring...they are also high in saturated fat (bad fats) which you really don't want if your trying to eat clean..
well i also put a drizzle of low fat chocolate syrup on top to give a little flavor...because i tasted it and thought for my taste buds it needed it..however thats just personal preference

i'll let you know what i think of them in around 20 more minutes

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
lol damn I was about to post that haha I love epic meal time.

But this recipe sounds pretty neat. I'm guessing they should stay in the freezer or fridge until ready to eat? but I want to try this just to change things up from protein shakes. I guess just throw one of these into a plastic bag instead of bring a fat awkward bottle lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol damn I was about to post that haha I love epic meal time.

But this recipe sounds pretty neat. I'm guessing they should stay in the freezer or fridge until ready to eat? but I want to try this just to change things up from protein shakes. I guess just throw one of these into a plastic bag instead of bring a fat awkward bottle lol
yep, but for post-workout you should keep with the whey protein as you dont really want to consume all the fat and carbs after your workout..the bars are just a good meal replacement dont completely forget about the gold ole whey shakes, though!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmmm..they're ok bars, but i think i'll want to play with adding maybe some rasins in or something like that to give it a nice flavor :yes
yeah im going to try dicing up some dried pineapple real small and add it in some stuff like that

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
E Tel good **** im gonna have to try making these one day. Also you should post this in the Get Fit thread. Im sure a lot of people that dont come on here on a daily basis that might not see this thread might find this useful too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts