Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been a little worried about my maf getting dirty from oil saturated gasses from my drivers side vac line being connected to the powerpipe and sending these gasses thru my entire system so i decided to add a air oil seperator in line. just purchased a campbell hausfeld seperator and 3/8 barbed fittings $20,still need some more fuel line hose.I havnt started the project yet let me know if you think this will work, i know i could spend more on a better one but figured id build this one for now and see how well it works,

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Damn. I was hoping to see some serious built from scratch stuff.

I've been meaning to weld one up for myself. I was going to go with a sheet metal canister and braze in a few fittings. The tough part would be creating a good sealing surface.

I also figured doing the primary amount of seperation using baffles and some sort of loose media in the bottom, with a draincock on the bottom to remove excess oil.

You could probably even make one with PVC if you were dedicated enough.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn. I was hoping to see some serious built from scratch stuff.

I've been meaning to weld one up for myself. I was going to go with a sheet metal canister and braze in a few fittings. The tough part would be creating a good sealing surface.

I also figured doing the primary amount of seperation using baffles and some sort of loose media in the bottom, with a draincock on the bottom to remove excess oil.

You could probably even make one with PVC if you were dedicated enough.
yeah ive seen a couple like that made from anything really but this is the best ive seen for the money just to try out and see if it collects anything, if it works well i might pay for a upr and relocate this one to the passenger side for the plenum

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
yeah ive seen a couple like that made from anything really but this is the best ive seen for the money just to try out and see if it collects anything, if it works well i might pay for a upr and relocate this one to the passenger side for the plenum
I'm definitely interested to see how it looks and works too. $20 sounds like a great deal.

:popcorn

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
How bad can the problem actually get? I don't have an oil catch can and I'm running the PVC line to my procharger intake too. Perhaps I should clean my MAF just to make sure it isn't getting oil all over it.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
So is this necessary for fi?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah if your FI its a very good idea to run one from the pcv valve to the plenum and one from the drivers side to the powerpipe if thats how your line is connected, there are some other ways to run thats just how im going to install mine , do some research on it i decided to go the seperator route because running filters is actually the same cost if not more depending on what you buy also didnt really want to smell all the fumes ill admit the breathers are a little better looking also ive heard you get oil residue in your engine bay from them but not a big deal either just preference i guess

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not necessary but do you really want oil carryover in your blower? I dont.
not just your blower if your intercooled all that residue covering your fins might reduce cooling and a dirty maf probly isnt a happy maf

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
So even non ic it's best to put one of these somewhere along the hose that runs from the driver side hose valve cover also? I already have the homemade one(home depot) from the passenger side valve cover to the plenum and it catches a small amout of oil but not much. So is it more important to mount one on the other side also? The one that goes from the valve cover to the intake tube?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How bad can the problem actually get? I don't have an oil catch can and I'm running the PVC line to my procharger intake too. Perhaps I should clean my MAF just to make sure it isn't getting oil all over it.
i wouldnt mess with the maf if its still running good just maybe hook one of these up and you will be good

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So even non ic it's best to put one of these somewhere along the hose that runs from the driver side hose valve cover also? I already have the homemade one(home depot) from the passenger side valve cover to the plenum and it catches a small amout of oil but not much. So is it more important to mount one on the other side also? The one that goes from the valve cover to the intake tube?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the JLT on my NA car and there is definitely oil in the can. It may not be a lot compared to the FI cars but it's oil I'd rather not have down the intake.

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
I just wanted to have a clear idea, in older engines/cars the oil sep will catch more oil? if yes, then I am wondering if you need to add new oil in return for each amount the can collects

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I just wanted to have a clear idea, in older engines/cars the oil sep will catch more oil? if yes, then I am wondering if you need to add new oil in return for each amount the can collects
As crankcase pressure increases, oil in the blowby will increase. Crankcase pressure can increase as a result of just plain higher cylinder pressures (FI) or poorly sealing rings (old motor.)

Regardless of oil drained from the seperator, you should check your dipstick and add oil according to that.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I'll definitely look into it

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i need to run one of these as well. anyone got a diagram on exactly where you need to put one? i have a campbell hausfeld one in the garage, just not on the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts