Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mods I'm not sure if you want to make a sticky out of this but here it goes.

Hood Pin Install.

1. Open hood and remove factory hood bump stops from radiator support. Remove headlights.
2. The slot for the bump stops is a little narrower than the 1/2 hood pin so you will need to open it up a little.
3. Thread first nut onto hood pin intil it reaches the end of the threads.
4. Slide hood pins into holes and install lower nut (adjust height later)
5. with gear marking compound ( or something that doesnt dry to quick) mark the tips of the pins.
6. Slowly let the hood down until it rests on the pins.
7. Open hood back up and make sure there are 2 marks where the pins touched.
8. Drill a 5/8s hole up through the bottom of the hood ( besure to hold the drill perpendicular to the hood.
9) Lower hood back down and make sure pins line up with the holes.
!0) Close hood and see where the hole is in the pin in relation to the surface of the hood.
11) Make adjustments as needed to align hole correctly
12) After adjustments are made, reinstall headlights
13) Close hood, slide scuff plates over the pins and install onto the hood.
!4) Insert your clips and enjoy.

** I added a small piece of 5/8 air hose (1/2 I.D.) over the pins and set a washer on top to hold the hood up to match body lines with fender.**

Hope some of you find this info helpful.
SMS

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice writeup.

If you don't mind me asking, which kit was this and do you think you are going to leave the lanyards on there or remove them?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is just a ss kit I got off ebay 2 years go. I use to have the other style clips on but sick of putting them in my pocket everytime I opened the hood or setting them down somewhere and having to find them. So I am going to leave the lanyards on.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is just a ss kit I got off ebay 2 years go. I use to have the other style clips on but sick of putting them in my pocket everytime I opened the hood or setting them down somewhere and having to find them. So I am going to leave the lanyards on.
Cool thanks for the response.

The only thing I am concerned about w/ lanyards (and I haven't looked into this subject much) would be them flapping around when your going down the highway, and start to chip away at the hood. Or is the material their made of not supposed to cause any harm?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be honest, they dont even move around while your driving. they always stay in the same position. If anything the wind pushes them against the hood and holds them in place

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
looks good man, ive been wanting to do this for some time now just never got aorund to doing so

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Hmm, looks like you're on your way to being ready for those pics with my lady-friend! ;)

Haha got your email, just never got around to responding. Sorry!

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha ha, thanks Jeff, those pics dont do it justice. Those were just some quickies I took. Once I can get better light and camera, it should look pretty good

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Ha ha, thanks Jeff, those pics dont do it justice. Those were just some quickies I took. Once I can get better light and camera, it should look pretty good
I thought she was lookin' damn sexy! Definately coming together! :cool:

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the cloudy day didnt let the mineral gray pop like it should

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
looks gold

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
good i mean

:shiftyeyes

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Noob hood question. If you do a Carbon Fiber hood. The pull off type to be exact. Are the hood pins enough to hold the hood on? or do you still need to install the latch part as well?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Noob hood question. If you do a Carbon Fiber hood. The pull off type to be exact. Are the hood pins enough to hold the hood on? or do you still need to install the latch part as well?
That's normally the point of hood pins; so you don't run a latch because some hoods (like a carbon fiber one) could crack from using the latch. The hood pins are used in lieu of a latch.

So yes, it'll hold the hood fine.

·
November 08 ROTM
1,356 Posts
nice writeup! ill be getting a decent set of hood pins once i go with an aftermarket cowl or cobra R hood.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts