Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I noticed yesterday driving on the interstate to a car show my hood vibrated and moves very badly at 70mph+.

It is noticeable from inside the car. Is it gonna fly off? No... but I dont want to risk it considering at the track I get up to around 85mph. I am guessing it is doing this because I adjusted the hood latch and hood stops for the Cobra bumper.

So, I was thinking about getting hood pins for the hood. My questions are:

1. How hard are they to install?
  2. Lanyards or no lanyards?
  3. Would I be able to remove my hood latch completely and just use the Hood pins?

I found this kit: Universal Billet Hood Pin Kit but I dont think it has lanyards. Another site had a Ford Racing Part for $44 with lanyards.

Any help will be much appreciated!

OH! If anyone has some pics of red cars with hood pins with or without lanyards post em up!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Personally not a fan of the hood pins, and if you do no lanyards is my 2 cents.

On the vibrating hood problem, I have had the same in the past. What you need to do (keeping in mind I have never actually looked at your model to see if its the same as mine in the aspect) is look under the hood. On both the passenger and driver side up at the front of your engine bay, you have rubber stops that your hood rests on. You can adjust these by simply screwing them up or down. They apply pressure up on your hood where your hood latch keeps it locked down. If they are not set at the right height, it can cause your hood to react in the way you are describing to us.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
How hard are they to install? Easy...
Lanyards or no lanyards? Nope...
Would I be able to remove my hood latch completely?
Yep but i wouldent.I had my hood pins just about done by myself in about 20 mins.And i like it with out the lanyards but thats just a pref. thing.

I could do it for you one afternoon but you live to far!

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hood stops had to be adjusted because of my cobra front bumper. The hood has to set a bit higher to clear the bumper and that is whats causing the vibration.

Would the hood pin kit I linked work? I mean, $20 is not a bank breaking amount and UPR is reliable.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link 6er. I am deff going to follow that guide. I like the look with the lanyards as well. I think I will paint the hood pin kit black also... to match the car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Go FRPP! They are a very good choice. Do not install the lanyards. The lanyards one: don't look right on the newer Mustangs, only the 65 to 70's...and Two: you have a good chance of damaging the paint.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered this kit:

Mr. Gasket 1616 Mr. Gasket Competition Pin Kit w/Cables

Was $23.00 with shipping. I figured if I want it black I can paint it myself. The other kit used torison clips and this uses saftey clips. The price for the torsion clips were $36.00 after shipping so I went with these.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Nice! Those will look good!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had that kit...all I will say is ....now I have the FRPP and I'm not looking back. I should have purchased it in the beginning.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
i had to put em on mine to help pull the hood down some i actually like em. only problem is that mine have gotten a bit rusty so i need to replace em soon

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine should be in tomorrow.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i had to put em on mine to help pull the hood down some i actually like em. only problem is that mine have gotten a bit rusty so i need to replace em soon

QUOTE]

Clear fingernail polish will keep them from rusting if you just paint a coat of it on them before you install, and you can touch it up from time to time if necessary.

Clear fingernail polish also works on cars if you get a ding dab some on and it will prevent the spot from rusting....just if you do it on the paint depending on age, color etc. you may have a small shiny spot where the clear polish is.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kit came in today. Only thing that is odd is the scuff plates. They are extreamly thin. I could bend them with my hand with no effort if I wanted to, I hope thats normal.

A few questions;

When putting the clips into the hood pin... im guessing I just push it through the opening until it clicks and that is what holds it in place?

Also, when I drill these holes for the pins... whats gonna keep water from getting in there or water from building up under the scuff plates?

The 4 screws that hold the scuff plates to the hood. I wonder if it would be better to replace them with bolts since the hood is fiberglass? That way I would not run the risk of overtightening and striping the hole.

I should be installing them tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
ZAT... i always check your threads cause are cars are so similar and we pretty much have the same mods...

I can't wait to see how this looks on your car, it will be the deciding factor in me getting them! so hurry up!

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
When putting the clips into the hood pin... im guessing I just push it through the opening until it clicks and that is what holds it in place?

Also, when I drill these holes for the pins... whats gonna keep water from getting in there or water from building up under the scuff plates?

The 4 screws that hold the scuff plates to the hood. I wonder if it would be better to replace them with bolts since the hood is fiberglass? That way I would not run the risk of overtightening and striping the hole.

I should be installing them tomorrow.
1. Yes
2. Nothing, but I would not worry about.
3. Do not worry about the screws, you only tighten them down very little. They do not need much tension at all. The scuff plate does not need to be tight at all, the pins hold it in place when the hood is latched anyway.

BTW, my pics were in the thread that was linked! :D (just a little self whoring)

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got them on. Will have pics after work. Funny thing is... the hood vibrates more, however I can tell its goin no where since I cant even get it off with the pins still on.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts