Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been reading and reading on this and havent come across anything about it done so far. I have a 08 gt with stock scoop. Im wanting to make it an open scoop for cooler air into the bay. Of course some say the scoop will fly off, some say it doesnt help at all. So since its cheap and only involves passing time. I was going to do it.

Then i got to thinking about the shaker scoop system. Couldnt find any dimensions on them. But would it fit under the 08 stock gt scoop?

Wondering cause it would be a nice hidden bonus to show off when you pop the hood.

Sorry if this is somewhere already I searched and read tons of posts :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
You want to hide a scoop with a scoop? The majority of people don't know the stock hood scoops are fake, and those that do would wonder why you hid a shaker with a fake scoop. The appeal of the shaker is...so you can see it shake!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
This past winter, I converted my scoop into a functional scoop by replacing the plastic, fake grill with a black powder coated piece of expanded metal. I then cut the hole in my hood, which is directly over Whipple s/c. To hide the cut area I got a small dia rubber line hose, cut a slit in it and lined the cut area with it. This gave it a professional, finished look.

As for performance, I don't notice any but I guess the Whipple is running cooler with the extra air being blown on it. You can really here it whine a lot more now.

As for coming off, I've had it up to 100mph and driven about 150 miles at highway speed without any movement. It's bolted onto hood with 4 bolts.

Sorry, no pictures until car comes back from shop. Having Fore Precision fuel rails and some braided lines installed.

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
I think its a cool idea. No idea if it would work or not but it is definitely worth trying!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't believe your idea would work...the instructions for the CDC Shaker Hood Scoop call for you to cut a hole in your hood, and also state that the trim piece WILL NOT cover the back two holes used to bolt the scoop onto the hood when the hole is cut.

MSRV3's idea sounds good...

Personally, I had the CDC Shaker, and then "graduated" to the Saleen Super Shaker Super Charger...

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
It would be cool if you could make a factory scoop actually work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think your not thinking what im thinking.

The shaker install says that the holes from the original gt scoop would be outside of their installation. So this means i should still be able to mount my scoop over the shaker if the height isnt a problem. I dont really like the look of the shaker since my stripes wouldnt continue over it. But it looks nice when the hood is up :).

Making the stock scoop work would be the same as what im trying to do(kinda). If the shaker comes apart in areas i can fabricate something and make it work but it would look like crap when the hood is up cause something would have to seperate from the engine. Thats why im trying to do this while using the shaker system. It looks good detached.

Can anyone give me some mesurments from their install of the cdc?? Like height from hood to top of it, length and width from outside of the border cover they supply.

thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So are you trying to use your factory scoop,instead of the shaker that goes through the hood, and the scoop body from the shaker to force the air over the air intake? Thats a good idea, I also like my factory scoop, but have not came up with a way to direct the air to the CAI. your idea make sense. I think about opening up my scoop all the time. If you work it out , please post what you did.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So are you trying to use your factory scoop,instead of the shaker that goes through the hood, and the scoop body from the shaker to force the air over the air intake? Thats a good idea, I also like my factory scoop, but have not came up with a way to direct the air to the CAI. your idea make sense. I think about opening up my scoop all the time. If you work it out , please post what you did.
kinda im trying to use both. Im waiting on a email from cdc with someinsite. If the shaker system has a good water deterant system ill use both if not its fabricate time. but i will definatly take pics when it comes time to cut.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The shaker system sits a little higher by about 1/2 inch so the hood scoop wouldn't cover it. Also I thought of making my hood scoop blow down on my SC but how do you keep the rain from getting in?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Before I bought my new hood I decided to make my OEM hood scoop functional. I cut a hole in the hood, removed the front plastic of the hood scoop. I built a mesh grille for the front, painted it Black. While I'm not sure how much it helped, if any because I never datalogged temperatures while driving, I'm positive that it did vent heat. The heat was more than visibly pouring out from the hood scoop while sitting in traffic. If your hood scoop is bolted than there shouldn't be any worry about it flying off since it just physically can't happen!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If ur trying to make it functional, the shaker only gives u maybe 5 hp anyway. If u r buying it for any reason other than just for looks ur wasting ur money.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so shaker is bigger then scoop.

Guess its make it open now. I have a couple ideas for keeping water out. I have modded my quad alot to make it go threw rivers etc and have had alot of trial and error with keeping water out. If i have time this weekend ill try and open her up and see what i get. Ill keep ya posted. They are all low cost ideas also so your looking at a couple bucks...

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Funny enough not much water ever got inside. I had plans on finishing the edges and making a seal at the hood to stop any water from rolling off the hood into the motor. However not much ever got inside the motor compartment even in downpours.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry, Joker, but I have an aftermarket hood with my Shaker, so it would not give you "true" measurements...I do, now, understand what you are trying to do, I think.

You want an opening cut in the front of the factory hood scoop and hood to direct air into the shaker that would fit into the factory scoop when the hood is closed....a scoop inside the scoop....interesting concept....

I agree with bamafan, the hp gain with the CDC shaker set up is minimal, and I did it purely for the "throwback" look. It has a very good drain system so water getting into the engine is not an issue.

Water geting into the the engine is also not an issue with a CAI, as long as you're not crossing a river with the CAI below the water level.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts