Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do they work in the rain? Wont the water get into the engine and ruin it?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think they have like special angles and drain holes...but i have always wondered the same thing haha

·
So Smart I'm Rotardary!
4,669 Posts
I had a real functional hood scoop on both my RX-7s and I never really had a problem with water getting in the engine and causing it problems. The reason for the hood scoop was for the top mount intercooler, and the way it was shaped it looked like rain water would run off the edges. I always wondered how rain would stay out of the intakes on the Mach 1s.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Well think about where it goes after coming into the scoop on the mach1. it follows a tube to the place where the conical air filter is on every other mustang. if water can get that far it'll probably get absorbed into the filter. but on old muscle cars where it went straight to the carbs Yeah I have no idea

·
So Smart I'm Rotardary!
4,669 Posts
Ah, ok. That makes sense. I never really looked closely at a Mach 1. I know on a few Dodge muscle cars, their hood scoops would raise and lower. probably to help keep rain out.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
yeah i dont know about those other ones

·
Registered
18 Posts
put it this way...ur engine is going to get wet anyway, because water always splashes up when its raining underneath ur car and into ur engine....doesnt seem to hurt it before right? so a hood scoop shouldnt effect it at all

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
as long as the water dose not make it into the throttle body or the manifold you should be fine.
well yes but what KEEPs the water from getting there, without teh filter getting soaked?

I guess teh true answer is dont drive in the rain haha

·
Registered
997 Posts
well yes but what KEEPs the water from getting there, without teh filter getting soaked?

I guess teh true answer is dont drive in the rain haha
your throttle body and your manifold SHOULD be on your motor fairly tight.
tight enough that a little rain would never hurt it. even if it was just down pooring your hood scoop is only so big and dose not allow for a significant amount of water to get in there anyway. :yes

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well think about where it goes after coming into the scoop on the mach1. it follows a tube to the place where the conical air filter is on every other mustang. if water can get that far it'll probably get absorbed into the filter. but on old muscle cars where it went straight to the carbs Yeah I have no idea
but what if the filter gets soaked and can't absorb anymore?

im imagining really hard rain that sounds like its raining rocks sideways and your driving into it. i know a person shouldnt be driving in that with a nice car but sometimes the rain comes out of nowhere

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.