Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 1994 mustang for my son. I am trying to turn the idle up a bit. It runs around 500-600 now, seems low and its a standard so he is having a hard time starting out. When I turn the set screw under the hood by the accelerator pedal the rpms do go up but jump right to 1000-1100. I cannot seem to get it in the middle where I want like 800-900. But even when I do set it high within a short time the rpms settle back down to 500-600 region. Is there another way to set the idle up that I am missing. Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The idle is controlled by the computer.
When changing the idle RPM, you need to unplug the battery for about 20 minutes to reset the memory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks worked like a charm. Dont suppose you know how to set up an emergency brake for the same car. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
228 Posts
You're welcome, sorry I can't help you with your ebrake problem.

I'm sure someone at this forum will come along and help you, though. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the idle issue. I have a standard transmission. Idle is set around 900 rpm. But seems a little jumpy. When sitting still for 20 seconds it will fall to 900 but when driving around and you engage the cluth for the few seconds it will usually bounce between 1000 - 1300 rpm. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine had pretty much the same problem.

You can remove the idle air control(IAC) valve and use some throttle body cleaner to clean it out.
The IAC is held on to the throttle body with 2 screws, and has an electrical connector on it.

Here are pictures of the two different types, I'm not sure which one '94s have.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
my 1999 looks more like the top one, so i would venture to guess that the bottom one is what you are looking for :dunno

1 - 9 of 9 Posts