Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I literally got through roughly 1/4 tank a gas a day. I just filled up Tuesday night and I've used a 1/4 already. I've changed my oil, clean my MAF sensor and throttle body, running a race 93 tune, cleaned my BBK filter, and changed my serpentine belt. What else can I do to improve my MPG? Someone told me Mustangs are notorious for bad gas mileage and the more I mod it, the worse it'll get?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I'm going to go with Stunna on a possibility of the cats or fuel filter and I'm also going to throw in possible O2 sensor(s). Also you could try adding some Seafoam into the gas tank (clean out your fuel lines) as well as Seafoaming the engine (clean carbon build-up inside the engine). What kind of gas mileage are you getting Dick? I'm around 18mpg with CAI, exhaust, 4.10 gears, tlok, tune, 18" wheels, and 285 rear tires.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
the race 93 tune isnt the correct tune if you are wanting fuel economy... :no

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Run a scanner to see if there are any hidden codes (O2 sensors).

In the mean time replace your spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter.

Find a shop that has a smoke machine to see if you have any leaks.

To make you feel better I get 33 mpg highway. ;) kidding that was for McQueen.

Seriously though preventative maintenance rules supreme. Also that 93R isn't the way to go. You want a street tune.

As McQueen said: Seafoam your motor. Get a bottle of Seafoam with the straw, hook it up to a intake vacuum hose, and slirp up the seafoam while at 1500 rpm. Slurp up half the bottle making it slurp faster until you reach half way. Immediately shut off the engine while slurping fast.

Wait ten minutes and then drag race. Beat the **** out of it 0-60, etc. Rev it.

Put the rest of the seafoam in your gas.

Change you oil too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
SORRY FOR REPEATING WHAT WAS ALREADY SAID_ THOUGHT I WAS THE FIRST RESPONSE_-_With my SCT tunes, my mpg went up slightly with the 93octane file and I'm really getting great fuel mileage with the 87 tune.
We all have to regularly treat the gas tank with one full can of Seafoam. Soak the upper intake plenum with some and lastly suck a quarter to half can up into the system while the engine is running through either the vacuum line or usually the pcv valve line. Putting a straw into the can of Seafoam is the easiest way for it to be pulled up into the system.
Soaking it while the engine is warm not hot works great. just past the opening to the throttle body, on very top, is a hose connected to a stubby port. I use a funnel and hose to connect there and pour some inside to let it soak 15-20 minutes.
Other than that, the correct spark plugs make a huge difference. Autolite, Motorcraft, or NGK copper core resistor plugs will perform the very best.
AIR, FUEL, SPARK- That's it!
Try the Seafoam induction while engine is running and post back. One can is $7.00 at Walmart or AdvanceAuto Parts ect...

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Just another thought, Dick.. Where do you buy your gas from? Your run-of-the-mill cheap stations generally sell lower quality gas than places like Shell, Exxon, BP, etc. I notice it takes me a lot longer to go through a tank of Shell gas than Wal-Mart gas.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm going to go with Stunna on a possibility of the cats or fuel filter and I'm also going to throw in possible O2 sensor(s). Also you could try adding some Seafoam into the gas tank (clean out your fuel lines) as well as Seafoaming the engine (clean carbon build-up inside the engine). What kind of gas mileage are you getting Dick? I'm around 18mpg with CAI, exhaust, 4.10 gears, tlok, tune, 18" wheels, and 285 rear tires.
YES- Probably as easy as a fuel filter. totally slipped my mind. I am changing my fuel filter every other oil change now.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Just another thought, Dick.. Where do you buy your gas from? Your run-of-the-mill cheap stations generally sell lower quality gas than places like Shell, Exxon, BP, etc. I notice it takes me a lot longer to go through a tank of Shell gas than Wal-Mart gas.
It's not the quality its the additive packages.

All brand stations are allowed to have 10-20% unbranded gas.

Combine that with 10-20% ethanol, when you go to Shell you are only buying 60-80% shell gas.

That being said, I only use Shell because 93 V-Power is an awesome additive package.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The race tune is probably really killing it.

I'm close to 300RWHP and still average 28 city and around 22 city. You can definitely mod and still keep decent gas mileage.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
It's not the quality its the additive packages.

All brand stations are allowed to have 10-20% unbranded gas.

Combine that with 10-20% ethanol, when you go to Shell you are only buying 60-80% shell gas.

That being said, I only use Shell because 93 V-Power is an awesome additive package.
Makes sense and Shell 93 V-Power rules :rockon Shell is the only place around me that I can even get 93

I think McQueen like saying dick.. :shiftyeyes
*softslowwhisper* Dick :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used Sea Foam in the gas tank but I'd really like to try it using the vacuum line. Can someone post more info on how to do that? I can't find Sea Foam that comes with a straw? I use the V-Power gas from Shell. I'm not sure of my MPG. How big is our gas tanks?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I used Sea Foam in the gas tank but I'd really like to try it using the vacuum line. Can someone post more info on how to do that? I can't find Sea Foam that comes with a straw? I use the V-Power gas from Shell. I'm not sure of my MPG. How big is our gas tanks?
No straw needed man. You're going to end up using a cup or something to hold the Seafoam because a vacuum is created inside the engine when it's running so the PCV line will suck the Seafoam right into the engine. Here's a guide a wrote on Seafoaming: Seafoaming Your Mustang | Mod Your Mustang

·
Registered
730 Posts
just seafoamed it last weekend to see where my exhaust leak was lol and to freshen things up... just put it through a vacuum line going to your intake. used a cup and the vacuum line just slurped it up like juiceee then smoke started pouring out of my cracked exhaust manifold WALA ha found the leak :D

and our gas tanks are 15.7 gallons ..... according to edmunds.com but ive never put more than 13 in it?

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Only advice on the artice:

You actually want to stall the motor once you hit 1/3 or 1/2 of the can. You stall it by plunging the hose further into the can and making it slurp faster. Doing this will leave the most amount of seaform on top of the valves.

Wait 10-15 and go drag racing, not just a simple drive. The motor needs a load to get all that **** out.

Also another note, change the oil while the motor is still hot, this will get the most amount of **** out of the motor, since the warm particles are currently floating in the hot oil, but when the oil cools they will gunk right back up.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
To the OP: What average fuel mileage are you actually seeing, and with what driving habits? I go through a 1/4 tank a day, too, but I drive at least 80 miles a day. If you're only making short trips, your mileage is going to suffer.

You actually want to stall the motor once you hit 1/3 or 1/2 of the can. You stall it by plunging the hose further into the can and making it slurp faster.
I really advise against that, as you run the risk of hydrolocking the engine. Dump too much incompressible liquid in the cylinders and your rods will develop neat little bends in them, like this:

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
To the OP: What average fuel mileage are you actually seeing, and with what driving habits? I go through a 1/4 tank a day, too, but I drive at least 80 miles a day. If you're only making short trips, your mileage is going to suffer.

I really advise against that, as you run the risk of hydrolocking the engine. Dump too much incompressible liquid in the cylinders and your rods will develop neat little bends in them, like this:

Ouchy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts