Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...by the engine in your car, if I can't see a goddamned thing?

Sorry for the general rant but this has been a long time coming for me especially going to some car shows which showcase much more modern vehicles. As a kid, I saw my dad open the hood of his car and I was fascinated by the 100s of moving parts whizzing and zipping around (aka the belt and pulleys) lol.

But recently going to a bunch of car shows. I've come to the conclusion that recently, the latest trend is the hood-in-hood. Where basically, driving without a hood, you probably wouldn't even realize there was no hood on the car...

I find myself approaching these cars, and outside of the obvious "HEY HERES HOW MANY CYLINDERS THIS CAR HAS" I find myself lamenting, "Welp, I guess I'll never know what that one looks like."

Some of the offenders below.

]

I feel like all it takes it a bottle of windex, a rag and 3 minutes (I'm being a bit facetious) and you can have a show ready engine bay.

Now, the vette, stang, and camaro are slightly less guilty, but they still felt the need to slap some plastic parts on the engine for show.

Anyone else feel this way then walking around a car show recently?

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
I get what you're saying OP. But some motors just look downright hideous....

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Weird, pic should resize....maybe the new update lost that feature. @AGJeff

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Yeah unfortunately I think there is just too much technology these days to actually be able to tuck the wires. You can call them lazy if you want, but if you've never worked in manufacturing you wouldn't know what a pain in the dick it would be to build, much less maintain. You'd be cussing the second you had to do some wiring job. Plus you still wouldn't be able to count cylinders or see the cool mechanical stuff because it'd all be covered by wires anyway.

Cleaner to just slap a cover on. Don't get me wrong, that Lexus one might be the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. But just look again at that 2V. LOOK AT IT!!!11!! It's easily the most disgusting engine bay of all time...:shiftyeyes You can hardly even tell it's an engine - could just be a two foot long rat's home.

·
7,909 Posts
Yeah unfortunately I think there is just too much technology these days to actually be able to tuck the wires. You can call them lazy if you want, but if you've never worked in manufacturing you wouldn't know what a pain in the dick it would be to build, much less maintain. You'd be cussing the second you had to do some wiring job. Plus you still wouldn't be able to count cylinders or see the cool mechanical stuff because it'd all be covered by wires anyway.

Cleaner to just slap a cover on. Don't get me wrong, that Lexus one might be the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. But just look again at that 2V. LOOK AT IT!!!11!! It's easily the most disgusting engine bay of all time...:shiftyeyes You can hardly even tell it's an engine - could just be a two foot long rat's home.
I actually like the 2.0L boxer in my FRS. No frilly crap on top of it. Most of the wires are tucked well.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Then you have the WRX bay.

I think the biggest issue is the amount of tech in cars. There is so much **** that it really can't be made to look great without throwing plastic on it. Here's a bentley continental. It screams you don't belong here.

But, it also has dozens of sensors and **** that would make the bay look like **** otherwise.

·
Broke as F*ck!!
2,725 Posts
Its because all of the wiring, sensors, reservoirs, and miscellaneous **** are all ugly as hell. Especially to the general masses which, lets face it, most of these cars are geared towards. Even the bay in my cobra looks like ****, wires everywhere, reservoirs that are oddly shaped, the list goes on. Most of the general population wants to see the "clean" plastic covers.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
My new 335i is the same way.

I already removed the cabin air filter which literally covers half the engine bay. Will be removing the stock air box and replacing it with cone filters (that will liberate another 1/4 of the engine bay.

The engine cover is there for good reason, the engine looks ugly without it in these cars haha.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

before:

after:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts