Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to get as much power out of the exh as I can, within a fairly firm set of factors.

The sound I am looking for is a little deeper at idle, and a little louder at idle would be fine too. Only a little though.

Highway, NO DRONE. I have a lot of time and effort that goes into my stereo systems, I don't need drone drowning it out. And the headaches I get from my horribly droney 4cyl on long trips have gotten old. I don't mind it being a little louder at cruise though (70-85mph typically on longer trips)

At WOT however, I want that ferocious sound that I have always loved about Mustangs. It can be loud, thats fine. When I go WOT, Tear it up, dont care how loud it is at that point.

So, the question is, is there even a way to make this happen?

I have looked at Axlebacks, and there seem to be plenty that give me the sound I want, or very close. BUT, as I have read they do nothing for power. I would love to go to LT headers, an off road X pipe and some straight through axlebacks, but obviously that's going to be far too loud.

Are the X pipes with high flow converters that use the stock manifolds decent?

Are shorty headers worthless?

At the end of the day, my goal is 300whp. But I don't know if I can do it, NA without getting overly loud or spending $$$$.

Sorry for all the questions. I know everything there is to know about my old car, but next to nothing (only what I have read while lurking over the last 2-3 weeks) about the new gen mustangs.

*edit*
I am listening to the clips in the exh sound thread.. Still have all the same questions.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Get a set of Long tube headers Kooks, Mac or American racing with an H pipe with High flow cats and the Roush extreme catback is a very aggressive sounding exhaust with no drone.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do what I did .. Long tube headers ( JBA ) catted H pipe and use the stock mufflers ... here is my sounds .. ( these are bullitt mufflers so your would be even quieter )

MOV02992.mp4 video by jncastillo87 - Photobucket

Man that is almost dead on what I want! If it was just a LITTLE deeper sounding... I am VERY stoked to hear it though, I thought LT headers would make it way too loud.

Is there any way to get that kind of sound, but just a little deeper? Because it sounds like volume wise, absolutely perfect for what I want.

I am planning out the mods so I can get the budget set aside ahead of time, Do I have to look for anything different in the header for an automatic or do they all fit up the same anyway?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
You could get 300rwhp with the factory exhaust. Exhaust doesn't really make much power for you on an na car. If u want something quite that will give you the most power, do some long tubes, catted x, and factory mufflers.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So at the risk of asking a question that has probably been answered 893274897 times,

In an automatic, NA, what is the standard way of hitting 300whp?

·
Houston Bullitt
160 Posts
So basically this
Kooks Mustang Header and Catted X-pipe Combo (Automatic 05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!
on the bullitt mufflers is what you have? (this one is for automatic since that is what I am going with)
Yeah .. and so you know the factory mufflers you have will probably be deeper .. the bullitt ones are different ... but yeah go with that. I will have to say I bought the same deal with the JBA long tubes and catted H pipe for 1000.00 ... 300 dollar savings and they fit great.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Maryland speed has the cheapest price on Kooks headers, plus they sometimes will knock more off the price if you send them an email, they did when I bought mine.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah .. and so you know the factory mufflers you have will probably be deeper .. the bullitt ones are different ... but yeah go with that. I will have to say I bought the same deal with the JBA long tubes and catted H pipe for 1000.00 ... 300 dollar savings and they fit great.

American Muscle seems to be "the standard" from what limited stuff I have seen. Any suggestions on where else to look?

On the mufflers, cool so yeah Ill wait to hear what it sounds like.

Did you install them yourself? How bad is it without a lift?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Dyno max mufflers sells a muffler that's loud on WOT and quiet on daily driving

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maryland speed has the cheapest price on Kooks headers, plus they sometimes will knock more off the price if you send them an email, they did when I bought mine.

Sweet Ill check them out :cool:

·
Houston Bullitt
160 Posts
American Muscle seems to be "the standard" from what limited stuff I have seen. Any suggestions on where else to look?

On the mufflers, cool so yeah Ill wait to hear what it sounds like.

Did you install them yourself? How bad is it without a lift?
No I did not install myself, Longtubes are a hell of a job without a lift and the proper tools .. I have changed out shorty headers before but I dont want to fool with longtubes.. and I have a buddy who owns a shop so he did it for me.. Make sure if you get the JBA longtubes to also get 2 boxes ( 2 in each ) of 02 sensor cable EXTENSIONS due to the sensors being moved farther away than the stock positions from the factory. I think the Kooks comes with them but not all sets do

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right on.

I get the feeling that people don't like BBK stuff. What's up with that? Is BBK stuff garbage or what? I ask because their headers look nice and are priced pretty well.

It looks like the JBAs will likely be the way I end up going regardless.

I need to get some prices on installation work on a couple things. I want these LTs, I want to do a 3000rpm converter and some gears (not going all the way to 4.10 as I want to keep some sort of MPG gain over my shoebox's 15/20)

And thoughts on what sort of costs I am looking at for those things as far as labor? And should I find a smaller shop or just let the dealership handle it? I was thinking any tranny shop could do the converter and would probably be cheaper than the dealership. I could do the converter and headers. I just don't want to and getting access to a lift is a hassle. (I was a tech for a long time, I just lost the desire to work on cars for anything fairly involved.)

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Right on.

I get the feeling that people don't like BBK stuff. What's up with that? Is BBK stuff garbage or what? I ask because their headers look nice and are priced pretty well.

It looks like the JBAs will likely be the way I end up going regardless.

I need to get some prices on installation work on a couple things. I want these LTs, I want to do a 3000rpm converter and some gears (not going all the way to 4.10 as I want to keep some sort of MPG gain over my shoebox's 15/20)

And thoughts on what sort of costs I am looking at for those things as far as labor? And should I find a smaller shop or just let the dealership handle it? I was thinking any tranny shop could do the converter and would probably be cheaper than the dealership. I could do the converter and headers. I just don't want to and getting access to a lift is a hassle. (I was a tech for a long time, I just lost the desire to work on cars for anything fairly involved.)
A lot of guys on these forums have installed a lot of different long-tubes.

The "consensus" if you will is that the three brands that go on easily, sound good, and deliver good results are:

American Racing (ARH)
Kooks
Mac

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
I agree dimora, but another brand u might throw in that list is pypes. A lot of people have been buying them recently and claiming they are the same a kooks.

On an n/a stang you'll want to stick to a mid-length header as they tend to pick up the most power across the power band. Kooks, Mac, and pypes are all "mid-length" long tube headers.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I am back to that kooks setup that I linked, which isn't that big of a deal, its only like $300 more or thereabouts.

I'm staying NA on the stang. I am done with daily driving a rocketship. My last car put down right in the area of 500whp, and was AWD. It also blew up on a regular basis (damn near like clockwork every 2 years), sucked down 93 octane in a way that no 4cyl has any right to and was loud, harsh and generally sucked to drive on a daily basis.

I have driven a bone stock 05 GT manual, and although it wasn't a total pig, the power output was less than inspiring. I was more surprised with how it handled, which was far better than I expected. However, I think 50hp or so would get it to where I could be happy with it. Especially considering

Way more comfy to drive
Way quieter inside
Way better sounding exh note
87 octane (would probably run 89 anyway, depending on the tune I suppose)
1-4 more MPG city
5-6 more MPG highway
(I am basing this off what I have read, which seems to be with the listed mods somewhere around 17-19 city 24ish highway. I have been getting 14-15 city 18-20 highway, and that's babying it, on cruise control at 65mph. If I was in a hurry I ended up more in the 16mpg highway area. I am sick of that crap. )
Not looking like a 40yo guy in a kiddie car
And I am chopping somewhere around $100 from my monthly payment.

Here is what I am looking at

C&L cai
SCT w/ Bama tune
underdrive pulleys (probably steeda? Looks like decent quality and good price)
Header/high flow crossover setup (probably that kooks setup I linked)
charge motion deletes
3.73s
3000rpm converter

Any thoughts on what sort of power that setup would put down and where it would get me at the drag strip?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Taking into consideration everything I said above, how much would going with a convertible change things performance wise? Whats the weight difference? A drop top sure would be nice for evening hill country drives with the wife...

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts