Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to order a new hatch latch, I have a 91. Before 5/01/91 uses a different style latch. Between that and the new hatch bumpers I'm hoping I can get rid of the rattle. My hatch seems slights bent too, any tips on how to make it sit flush?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, anyone know?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look on the sticker in the door,
Guess I should have pointed out in the original post that the car has been repainted and it's gone. I guess more specifically can I tell from the VIN?

·
Rattle Trap
62 Posts
Early 91 has a larger diameter striker than the late 91.

The striker on the early cars has a bushing on it. The late cars do not.

My hatch had a rattle too. I had to replace the hatch seal to get it to stop. No matter how I adjusted the striker I could not get it too stop.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Early 91 has a larger diameter striker than the late 91.

The striker on the early cars has a bushing on it. The late cars do not.

My hatch had a rattle too. I had to replace the hatch seal to get it to stop. No matter how I adjusted the striker I could not get it too stop.
I can't tell if the bushing was never there or if it has broken/torn off. The last owner had put some electrical tape around the striker, I can't tell if this was to try to replace the bushing.

The bumpers on the corners of the hatch don't even touch the base of the car. I'm going to buy all new weather stripping/striker/bumpers and try to fix the problem.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Take some pictures of all these issues.

I have a 91 and i remember when my striker went out. So i went to ford and the first one thet have me was the big fat striker, then i realized that the smaller one was the one i needed. Now its been along time since i replaced it but i think both strikers have the hard plasic bushing

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Here are the two strikers.

Products - Latemodel Restoration Supply

Open your hatch. Push the latch mechanism closed with your fingers (its hard to do) or a couple screwdrivers. I used my fingers and wore a pair of leather gloves. Then you can see how big the striker needs to be.
X2 Simplest way to figure it out. And yes, if you contact Ford they can tell you when your car was produced by the vin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts