Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car from an older guy that had had it for a few years. Its been a great car, but im having some problems with the clutch. He told me it had a stage 1 clutch in it...its pretty stuff, idk how mustang clutches are but this one is stiff. It used to grab fine, but now when its pushed to the floor i have problems getting it to go into 1st and reverse..and it shifts kinda hard, so I know its not engaging all the way...I was reading around on here, and im not sure what i have but its not stock because I dont have the ratchet deal..heres a pic of what connects to the clutch cable

https://picasaweb.google.com/116424294864098183298/MustangGT5094?authkey=Gv1sRgCICJrs-YkpDp4AE#5596396138134211074

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
You have a aftermarket quadrant which is good because the oem plastic ratch pos would flex or crack over time.

If you don't have the firewall adjuster or an adjustable clutch (verify by looking at the cable where it connects to the clutch fork under the car, if it's adjustable you'll see a nut on the end with tons of thread) then you can't adjust the clutch and it's most likely stretched causing the clutch not to fully disengage/engage so you going to toast your syncros in the trans if your not easy.

Replace the cable with a non adjustable oem or maximum motorsport cable and purchase the firewall adjuster of choice. With the adjuster you'll be able to fine tune where exactly you want the clutch to start grabbing at on the peddle travel. Ideally you want it to grab in the middle of the peddle because right off the floor and all the way at the top are considered out of adjustment and you'll be hurting your snychros again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got the stock cable i suppose...I put it on a lift wallago, and there was no adjustment..i bought one of the firewall adjusters, itll be here in a cpl of days, I hope thats all I need with the cable that I have now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts