Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to burn up my old tires but i dont want to wreck my brakes in the process. My first idea was to somehow disable them but then I got another idea, is there some sort of system or mechanism you can install to turn off the rear brakes at will? Another question I have is, how badly does burning tires mess up your brakes?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
it wouln't hurt your brakes much at all. Get out there and melt em off:)

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
new pads = cheap and easy
line locks = much more $$$ and time to install.
your going to have the wheels off any way for the new tire install just slap
some new pads on there

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know you just want to burn off your tires, however if you are going to be taking this car to the track alot I would suggest line locks.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
the burn out box really doesn't do as much damage as you would think w/o linelocks... I have made over 300 passes on and my pads in back are still fine... wouldn't be my first choice of a mod... well I guess that's obvious
if he was really going to smoke'em till they pop then the heat might damage the pads but they won't wear out because of one burnout/off

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have been doing brake burns for years with all my cars/trucks and never had to change a set of rear pads/drums yet.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A line lock is the way to go, too many burnouts really mess up pads and can seriously damage rotors too. i just helped a friend change his rear pad and rotors because of burn outs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Braking systems are biased to the front brakes (most of the car's stopping power is in the front brakes).

So, finding the least amount of brake pressure that will hold the car still and still spin the tires shouldn't hurt your rear brakes much at all. In fact, as long as the car is not moving, it should take less pedal pressure to hold the car still than coming to a stop in normal driving (meaning your rear brakes aren't even working that hard during the burnout).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts