1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
A mini spool?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
a welder :) lol or just find someone to build the clutches real tight..

·
Registered
102 Posts
A mini spool or full spool to lock the axles up (and go chirping around every corner you come up to. lol) or a Detroit Locker. I would do a locker if you have the money.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
I'd have to go with a mini spool. Don't ghettofy your rear end with welds that will not hold up to the power you might plan in the future. If those welds break, so does your rear end. I'd just spend the 130 bucks from jegs for a spool and get it done right the first time if you want to lock up both tires. Hell now a days, the whole differential can run you about $375.00 for a good street one. if you like spending money, get a richmond diffy that runs $700 and never worry about your "rear-end"

·
Registered
569 Posts
i welded the spyder gears on my woods beater 89 blazer and they never broke and i beat the piss out of it but it would be diff if you were making good power

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'd have to go with a mini spool. Don't ghettofy your rear end with welds that will not hold up to the power you might plan in the future. If those welds break, so does your rear end. I'd just spend the 130 bucks from jegs for a spool and get it done right the first time if you want to lock up both tires. Hell now a days, the whole differential can run you about $375.00 for a good street one. if you like spending money, get a richmond diffy that runs $700 and never worry about your "rear-end"
look on ebay-----8.8 posi unit

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
To answer the original question.........limited slip, posi, traction lock and sure grip are all the same thing. Posi is not an upgrade of limited slip. Posi is limited slip. The only way to have a fully locked rear end is with a spool or an air locker.

Reactions: trueblue01

·
Registered
753 Posts
To answer the original question.........limited slip, posi, traction lock and sure grip are all the same thing. Posi is not an upgrade of limited slip. Posi is limited slip. The only way to have a fully locked rear end is with a spool or an air locker.
there showing some lockers on ebay ...8.8 posi unit

·
Registered
288 Posts
Posi Trac is just GM's name for limited slip... Ford calls theirs Trac-Lok They are both limited slip and do the same thing, just different names

·
Registered
698 Posts
28 spline is stock. If I remember correctly, you need an "open" center section to install a mini spool. If you have a limited slip unit, you will have to come up with an open center as well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Why the interest in "lockers"? The factory unit is normally more than adequate unless your getting real serious about more HP and drag racing. I run a full spool on the street with ET Streets and don't have any real issues with dry roads. As for wet roads, they suck. A good rebuild kit in the stock unit should work well and it will have better street manners. I raced a stock unit for a couple of years running high 12's with 1.60 60 foot times and had no problems and that was using ET Streets. Never ended up with the dreaded "one wheelie peelie".

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
im pretty sure a good rebuild for the stock tlock will be fine for what you are wanting man

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
jezzz this is sounding like a headache
Don't focus so much on one thing, that's why it's a headache, not to mention 9 people told you 9 different things. You're wondering about locking the wheels so you won't be embarrased at the track with that "daisy-wheel" burnout. SO it's determined that POSI-trak, limited slip and those other fancy pants marketing names come out to be the same right? So your concern is, HOW TO MAKE BOTH DAMN WHEEL SPIN!!!. Just pick up a jegs mag or summit, look for a mini-spool or an actual diofferential for 87-93 stangs, place your order, get your order and install or take it to a shop and have them do it. Do worry about if it will work, the description in this case will say 87-93 stang lx/gt or LX or GT. Look for your model and have no fear. Splines? 28sp will be just fine

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
keep in mind a spool keeps both wheels locked constantly......if you go around a curve they will spin at the same speed instead of have one spin slightly slower than the other

1 - 20 of 34 Posts