Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently found out that I have 3.73 gears which the previous owner of my car had no clue about and someone before him had them intalled, probably the original owner.

There is a paint mark on the cover of the rear gear box where the ring and pinion are, probably from when it was installed. I also noticed there are paint marks on the valve covers under the engine, so now I am wondering if something under there is aftermarket. How do I know if the cams are stock? I can post an idling video if that will help.

Is there anything else under the valve covers that would have needed regular maintenance? My car only has ~57k miles.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Please tell me they do not sound like that haha, lets go with stock for you good sir.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
if its a small cam with a higher idle you wont hear a cammed sound

·
Registered
929 Posts
I prefer the cams that go potatoe-potatoe-potatoe-potatoe-potatoe-potatoe.

LOL, if you have a dial indicator you can remove a valve cover and measure the lift at the valve. Also, I believe the factory cams are hollow with the individual lobes crimped (for lack of a better term) onto the main shaft, which is a proprietary design by Ford. I have never seen a 4.6 aftermarket cam up close, but I would assume they are one piece machined. Someone here could probably verify this.

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Don't aftermarket cams also have a place to put a wrench on it to hold it in place while you put the chain/sprocket on? I don't think stock ones have these.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You would be able to hear them no matter which aftermarket cam it would be. I have stage 1 Comps and the car wouldn't idle at all on the stock tune. I had to bump it up to 820rpms and even then its on the edge of dying.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
my friends 98 with a PI and CMS stage 2's are not very loud. idle is somewhat high.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
If you pull a valve cover, you can tell very easily if you have aftermarket cams. Aftermarket are shiny and made of billet steel where stock ones are a dull greyish color with pressed on lobes. You can tell from 15 feet away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, here's a video. My gf was standing a little far back so I apologize for the low volume. I can take another if you can't hear it well enough.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I cant even hear your car. Definatley stock cams man.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the exhaust is stock with Flowmaster American Thunder cat back, no mufflers.

The video is quiet because of the camera placement. I'll try to take another one later with better sound.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its a stock cam without a doubt. You would be able to tell if it had cams in it, regardless of idle rpm.

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Have you checked to make sure all your hoses are connected. If the IAC hose is disconnected/you have a vacuum leak, it could mess with you idle and make it sound like the motor is cammed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts