Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever removed the front lens on one of their headlights? I bought some Saleen HIDs and the housing is all F'ed up and was thinking about replacing it. In order to get the HID bulb and lamp out I believe I need to remove the lens. It looks like there is a bead of silicone around the lens. Whats the best way to break that apart?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think so. I tried looking around but there isnt much of a reason to sell them other than for what Im doing.

Ill try the baking method to soften up the seal and then use a blade to break it apart. Ill being doing this Thursday and Ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
lmao it only took me like 3 mins in the oven for mine

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Sounds like you overcooked it.
For future reference, I do not recommend this method, either:

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
That just too bad for the sofa...

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Too late....

I hate you guys... you think 8 minutes in 350 degrees was too much??? :eek:

This made me smile. I effed up a set of headlights the first time I tried to remove the lenses. The second time I used a heat gun and gradually brought up the temp until I was able to remove them.

This was the result:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re-bringing up a dead thread again...

This made me smile. I effed up a set of headlights the first time I tried to remove the lenses. The second time I used a heat gun and gradually brought up the temp until I was able to remove them.

This was the result:
Did you use anything special to reseal them? I have some funk going on with one of my Raxiom headlamps I am looking to take off the lens clean and reseal it. I was going to take the headgun approach as well. I'd assume some automotive grade black silicone should do the trick with resealing.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Re-bringing up a dead thread again...

Did you use anything special to reseal them? I have some funk going on with one of my Raxiom headlamps I am looking to take off the lens clean and reseal it. I was going to take the headgun approach as well. I'd assume some automotive grade black silicone should do the trick with resealing.
What year is your car? Or maybe I should ask if you have that little black cap hanging down in front of the bulb?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
The way I always reseal them is put stick it back together and put it back in the oven or apply heat another way and just squeeze it back together when it's soft

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.