Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever removed the front lens on one of their headlights? I bought some Saleen HIDs and the housing is all F'ed up and was thinking about replacing it. In order to get the HID bulb and lamp out I believe I need to remove the lens. It looks like there is a bead of silicone around the lens. Whats the best way to break that apart?

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Best way is to heat your oven to 300 degree, stick headlamp housing for 10 minutes and remove.. Often you can just pry it off from there, but sometimes you got to get creative with fishing line and prying tools.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont think so. I tried looking around but there isnt much of a reason to sell them other than for what Im doing.

Ill try the baking method to soften up the seal and then use a blade to break it apart. Ill being doing this Thursday and Ill let you know how it goes.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
I totally understand this is over a year old... Holy wake up the dead thread but, does this work?

·
All **** All The Time
2,917 Posts
I had a old headlight I tried the oven trick on. I got the lens off but tore up the housing in the process,no way it was going back on.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Too late....

I hate you guys... you think 8 minutes in 350 degrees was too much??? :eek:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
lmao it only took me like 3 mins in the oven for mine

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Sounds like you overcooked it.
For future reference, I do not recommend this method, either:

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
That just too bad for the sofa...

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
I'm just glad those were the extra pair. And I'm never going to take the lens off ever again...

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Too late....

I hate you guys... you think 8 minutes in 350 degrees was too much??? :eek:

This made me smile. I effed up a set of headlights the first time I tried to remove the lenses. The second time I used a heat gun and gradually brought up the temp until I was able to remove them.

This was the result:

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Show off... I remember when you first did that. I'm going to try again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re-bringing up a dead thread again...

This made me smile. I effed up a set of headlights the first time I tried to remove the lenses. The second time I used a heat gun and gradually brought up the temp until I was able to remove them.

This was the result:
Did you use anything special to reseal them? I have some funk going on with one of my Raxiom headlamps I am looking to take off the lens clean and reseal it. I was going to take the headgun approach as well. I'd assume some automotive grade black silicone should do the trick with resealing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Black rtv sealant

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Re-bringing up a dead thread again...

Did you use anything special to reseal them? I have some funk going on with one of my Raxiom headlamps I am looking to take off the lens clean and reseal it. I was going to take the headgun approach as well. I'd assume some automotive grade black silicone should do the trick with resealing.
What year is your car? Or maybe I should ask if you have that little black cap hanging down in front of the bulb?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
The way I always reseal them is put stick it back together and put it back in the oven or apply heat another way and just squeeze it back together when it's soft

1 - 20 of 20 Posts