Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used oxi clean arm and hammer. Still doesn't come out how I want to. It doesn't lose its static... The dryer helps it gain it back.

·
Registered
479 Posts
All free and clear! Our washer has a 'sterilize' setting that I use. High heat is the key! Gets everything out just fine for me.

Then I hang them up outside to dry and when they are dry I throw them in the drier on tumble with drier balls in it. Fluffs them up real nice. Look in the as-seen on TV section of places.

I think we got them at Bed Bath & Beyond in the beyond section :bubba:

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
I hand wash mine in a hot bucket of water with normal dawn in it. then I put them on the steam cycle in dryer. Works perfect for me. I usually swap out the worst towels for new ones. Always washing them separate of course.

·
IG: opiesvt
8,782 Posts
Good question.

Whenever I'd try to clean mine, they'd always have SOME kind of residue left on em when I'd go to polish my car..which in turn would streak all over the car. I went with some soap that's specially formulated (lol) for cleaning microfibers on this new order I just placed with CG.
I'll see how that goes.

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
Good question.

Whenever I'd try to clean mine, they'd always have SOME kind of residue left on em when I'd go to polish my car..which in turn would streak all over the car. I went with some soap that's specially formulated (lol) for cleaning microfibers on this new order I just placed with CG.
I'll see how that goes.
^ nice.. let me know how it works because that was my issue before I started hand scrubbing them with dawn. Ugh. I'd just as much spend the cash for a new towel at that point haha

·
8,782 Posts
That's what I was doing for a while. I'd just buy new ones after I used them. The old ones went to cleaning the tires, then trashed.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What causes the microfibers to streak is fabric softeners, dyes and parfumes that are in the wash solution.

Hence All Free and Clear, free and clear of any softeners, dyes and parfumes.

Some people find that the real microfiber detergent works a lot better than free and clear, some don't. What I do works for me, but I will probably get a real microfiber detergent after I run out of free and clear to see for myself.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
I just use Tide (without any fabric softener in it).

Also don't go too high heat or they won't come back. I can't remember what the temp was but it was very hot, I doubt any dryer would do that.

No fabric softeners, don't use too much soap. I was using tide pods for a while when all my towels and microfiber applicators were dirty and those worked absolutely perfect.

Never used this stuff but it's on sale if someone wants to try it lol.

CG's Microfiber Cleaner

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Either use a dedicated MF detergent or something like Tide Free and Clear. Never use regular detergents because they have scents and chemicals in them that will damage the MF.

Always wash with like towels... don't wash wheel towels with paint towels.

Wash with warm water on the largest load setting, low heat machine dry.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
theres how you're supposed to wash them like zat said, which is what you should do
however I'm not going to lie, I just throw all of mine into the same cycle wash with free and clear however I'm definitely trying a mf wash next because I think I'll benefit, cg micro wash is on my hit list then just dry on lowest setting fold and store safe from everything else etc
never had an issue, however they have some absorbency and the only culprit can be free and clear, I dont use the white vinegar trick as well.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I've used CG MF cleaner and it does nothing that Tide does not. Micro-Restore is the same deal.

The only way to keep towels 100% absorbant is to eventually do a boiling cleaning.

You get a large pot to boil with distiled water... soak the MF in the water while its hot and move it around. This removes all chemicals from the fibers. Its mostly to remove wax from your wax buffing towels as the wax will cause the towels to resist water. You won't melt the fibers as long as you don't leave them in the put for more than 5-10mins.

Of course, you wash them afterwards.

·
8,782 Posts
Interesting... never thought about boiling them. Gonna start doing that because even when I did clean them really good, the wax was still kinda there.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Interesting... never thought about boiling them. Gonna start doing that because even when I did clean them really good, the wax was still kinda there.
you should only do it once - twice per towel for its entire life cycle.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
mine are separated. paint towels are NEVER washed with anything else. They are washed and dried alone. I use the BF wash and the dryer balls. My misc towels for interior, wheels and such all get thrown in together and then dried with dryer balls and never any dryer sheets. I use to use Free and clear detergents but some reason it made them not as absorbent as when i use my MF wash

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
I will most certainly try the boiling trick. And dawn works well for me I'm thinking now the cost of the MF wash I should just save. Keep doing what I'm doing and slowly rotate my MF's out of service. Paint-windows-trim-wheels/tires/exhaust-engine-undercarriage, then demoted to shop towels haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts