Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a computer go bad?

Here is the story...
I've recently installed a supercharger on my mustang. It's at the shop now getting dyno tuned, well... at least it's suppose to be. The car was running fine before I started the supercharger install. I installed the supercharger in my driveway and then had my car towed to the shop when I was done. I told them not to start the car because the underdrive pulleys and supercharger pulley were touching. I had them change out the pulleys, upgrade the fuel pump and dyno tune it. Well when they went to start it to dyno tune it the car wouldn't start. They called me to come down there to come take a looked at it. We determined that the computer went bad. The reason I say that is because the car has fuel, and spark but the car wouldn't start. When they switched the computer with a spare one they had lying around the car started right up. When they put mine back in it wouldn't start. Then just to make sure that was the problem they put the spare computer back in and started right up again. Then put mine back in and nothing. How the hell does a computer go bad like that?

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I'm just throwing stuff out there because I don't know anything about the conditions in your car but the most likely causes of computer failure are excessive heat, water damage or a short somewhere that for some reason blew the computer and not the fuse... All of this seems unlikely, I will admit. I've never heard of defects or issues with the stock computers on the car, to be honest.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, neither have I. That's why I'm asking. I can't even see it being excessive heat because I haven't driving it hard in a long time. I don't see it being water damage because I don't drive it in the rain. I don't really thing it's a short because I disconnected my battery when I was working on my car. Sooo confused and irritated! I guess I'll have to get a new computer for it unless they can reprogram it some how

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
I mean I guess if your heatercore was leaking it could get water damage that way maybe. IDK. Keep us posted. And congrats on the SC!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... I will
It's just irritating. I haven't driven my car in months! I just want it back so I can drive the damn thing!!!

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
on a grand prix gtp I had I got the computer replaced on it. driving down the road one day and the car just shut down. got it towed that night checked out the next day they told me the computer went bad/crashed only upgrade it had was a cai. $400 parts and labor after that it was completely fine again. It was just out of the blue.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Dunno if your running a chip but I had a no start issue after my s/c install. It ended up being my chip wasnt making good contact when plugged into the ecm. So I took some sand paper to the terminals to clean up em and havent had an issue since

·
Registered
705 Posts
A voltage spike to ur ecu will cause it

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
How well do you trust the shop you took the car to?

Just a head ups to everyone, in this economy everyone is hurting, especially automotive repair shops that mainly due mod type work.

I for one have lost my trust in repair shops. I will not leave my car alone at a shop for nothing unless I trust the guy and I know him personally. There is a shop in my area I would never take my car, they just take their sweet ass time and charge you for the time they supposedly spent working on your car.

·
Banned
416 Posts
Just fyi, they can very much be at fault. If you unplug the chip from your computer with the key still in the ignition, it will FRY your computer... I DON'T know if you are using a handheld or a chip to tune your car.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
True. It may have just crashed. It's not uncommon for computers to just sort of hit a wall, that is, reach a process that it does a million times over and over, and just once hang for a millisecond too long and crash. I don't know how to reboot our car's computers manually, but even if you did, I think it might screw with the PATS.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
you sure its not the tune? do the lights come on with your computer installed? do you get power at all? etc etc....

·
MoM Fanatic
5,056 Posts
did you have fuel to the cylinder tho? one thing that auto makers did to make production of automobiles cheaper was to use cheaper methods of assembling electronic joints. if you live in an area that gets very cold and warm in the summer time youre electric joints likely broke. as for the reasoning of it happening just at that time it could be the shop trying to get out of trouble or it could have just chose that time to break like my alternator did yesterday. best thing to do is buy the extra computer and keep the other to look through and find some type of bad resistor or solder joint. good luck and congrats on the s/c

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
p.s. how did your car start with the second computer? I guess the tuner removed the PATS system? if so, make him give you that one until you figure out what caused it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how would I get a voltage spike? I had the battery disconnected until I had it towed to the shop and they didn't try to start it until it was time for the dyno tune.

How well do you trust the shop you took the car to?

Just a head ups to everyone, in this economy everyone is hurting, especially automotive repair shops that mainly due mod type work.

I for one have lost my trust in repair shops. I will not leave my car alone at a shop for nothing unless I trust the guy and I know him personally. There is a shop in my area I would never take my car, they just take their sweet ass time and charge you for the time they supposedly spent working on your car.
The shop has a good reputation so I don't they would try to do anything funny

Just fyi, they can very much be at fault. If you unplug the chip from your computer with the key still in the ignition, it will FRY your computer... I DON'T know if you are using a handheld or a chip to tune your car.
Using a handheld, no chip

you sure its not the tune? do the lights come on with your computer installed? do you get power at all? etc etc....
Yes, I'm sure it's not the tune. The old tune has been on there for years with no problems. They never got a chance to do a new tune because the car wouldn't start.

did you have fuel to the cylinder tho? one thing that auto makers did to make production of automobiles cheaper was to use cheaper methods of assembling electronic joints. if you live in an area that gets very cold and warm in the summer time youre electric joints likely broke. as for the reasoning of it happening just at that time it could be the shop trying to get out of trouble or it could have just chose that time to break like my alternator did yesterday. best thing to do is buy the extra computer and keep the other to look through and find some type of bad resistor or solder joint. good luck and congrats on the s/c
the car runs with a different computer, and won't start with mine. I'd say it's getting fuel to the cylinder

p.s. how did your car start with the second computer? I guess the tuner removed the PATS system? if so, make him give you that one until you figure out what caused it.
He removed the computer (computer module I guess you would call it) and put in a different one. When he did that the car started right up but when he put mine back in then the car wouldn't start. Is the PATS system inside the car on the passenger's side? He did tell me that when he first tried to start the car the theft light
started flashing and the car wouldn't start. I brought him my spare key and he tried it with that one and there was no theft light but the car still wouldn't start. I guess that could be it! How do you fix that?

·
MoM Fanatic
5,056 Posts
the car runs with a different computer, and won't start with mine. I'd say it's getting fuel to the cylinder
yes but with youre computer it may not be running the injectors :yes in many cases the computer manages the rate at which the fuel is allowed through the injectors into the cylinder. thus changing the computer out could allow the injectors to operate if there were an issue in your injector circuitry in your computer. i could be wrong but just throwing an idea out there. :eek:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

yes but with youre computer it may not be running the injectors :yes in many cases the computer manages the rate at which the fuel is allowed through the injectors into the cylinder. thus changing the computer out could allow the injectors to operate if there were an issue in your injector circuitry in your computer. i could be wrong but just throwing an idea out there. :eek:
It has fuel pressure and you can smell the fuel after cranking on it for awhile. I don't think that's the problem but thanks for the help

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still need help guys. Do you think that the shop swap out my computer with a bad one and just trying to get me to buy a new one? Can the PATS system work with a computer that hasn't been programmed for my car? Could really use some help!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts