Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who don't know, promise rings mean "I promise to one day propose to you" or "I promise to always love you". Stuff like that.

Quick Backstory:

My girlfriend expressed the want for a promise ring for Christmas a couple of months ago, and I kind of dismissed the thought and told her I didn't think they meant much and were stupid (not exact words).

So through xmas, she didn't express concern at not getting one or anything because the talk of one pretty much stopped there other than jokes about it from her (which obviously looking back were hints even though she accepted the fact of how I felt.)

Well, I do love this girl and want to marry her and some point, and now I realize that I should have gotten her one to make her happy even with how I feel about them.(It wouldn't be mine anyways, just my promise I guess.)

I am about to pull the trigger on one now to surprise her with, and tell her sorry for not realizing earlier.

So, what does MM think about promise rings? I know I messed up not getting her one if that's what she wanted. Just looking for some input, especially ladies of MM.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Kinda dumb if you ask me.

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
I see nothing wrong with them if you know I'm your heart its meant to be.

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Reactions: Coops6er

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
Stupid waste of money in my opinion. I say don't get her one and if she decides to break off the relationship simply because of that, she wasn't marriage-worthy in the first place.

·
MM Official Sammich Maker
6,732 Posts
I don't mind the idea at all.
If you both feel the same way and you want to marry her one day, get her that ring :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stupid waste of money in my opinion. I say don't get her one and if she decides to break off the relationship simply because of that, she wasn't marriage-worthy in the first place.
I think you mis-understood. She never made a big deal about it, I just think now I should get her one.

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
I think you mis-understood. She never made a big deal about it, I just think now I should get her one.
No, I understood what you were saying but I was saying that you shouldn't buy it and that should she ever break up with you and use that as a reason, that it would be BS.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah I totally agree. Our relationship is great though, and that will never happen, and I'm not worried about it happening.

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
I'll be getting my girlfriend one.:yes

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
How old are the both of you, how long have you been together, and at what stage are the both of you in your lives (college, live with parents/independent, jobs, etc)?

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
my little 18 yr old gf loves it....and so does my penis.

SAME DAY SHIPPING OR YOURE GHEY!!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How old are the both of you, how long have you been together, and at what stage are the both of you in your lives (college, live with parents/independent, jobs, etc)?

College, Jobs, over a year.

Both agree not getting married until we are stable on our own without help from outsides (parents, etc.)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
If she's happy, you're happy. What's a $100 ring to keep who you care about happy? I didn't really see the point of them either but she kind of wanted one. She would have been fine had I not bought one but Im learning to just go with the flow on some things and not question it if its not a big deal.

If you do buy one I don't suggest going to jewelery stores. The ones around where I live had very little selection, were more expensive, and were ugly IMO. I ended up going on the zales/Kay jewelers websites and found a huge selection of them that looked a hell of a lot better. I got mine from Zales and they engraved it for free I think. It took like 2-3.week's to get it on the mail but oh well.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
save your money. If the relationship is really that good she wont need a ring to remind her or keep her around. You guys are still young and a lot can happen in the next few years.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Bought my girlfriend one about 7 years ago, we just hit our 6 year anniversary on the 29th of being married. If you love her and it makes her happy you will get the ring. You want to make her happy not the members of MM lol

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
College, Jobs, over a year.

Both agree not getting married until we are stable on our own without help from outsides (parents, etc.)
From this response it seems you both are focused on the right things by working and going to college while also realizing that in order to live on your own down the road you need to become independent without your parents.

Assuming you guys have a great relationship, if this is just a promise ring that you DO NOT intend on dropping a lot of money on (like less than $500 I would think) AND you continue to stay focused on school and working, I kind of like the "old fashionedness" of this and it seems like it would make her happy, which would make you happy. BELIEVE me when I say this, "A happy wife is a happy life" <--- to the 10th power!

I wish you the best.

Reactions: Coops6er

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Last time I checked, an engagement ring was a ring where you promised to marry someone. So in my mind, a promise ring is something stupid that the jewelry companies made up to make more money off young people.

If you're going to promise to marry the girl, fine promise to marry her. I just don't see the purpose to need a promise ring. If you really want to get her a "promise ring" then go out and buy an engagement ring.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts