Modded Mustang Forums banner

How does this make my rear end look

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  93Bandit 
#1 ·
I'm pretty much done purchasing suspension parts and need ideers on my rear end. I want enough junk in the trunk to make the others back that ass up.

I'm thinking of 31 spline, 5 lug conversion w/disc brakes. Has anyone heard any good or bad about the the Eaton E-Locker? Probably just going to play it safe and go with the Detroit.
Eaton 19660-010 Eaton ELocker Differentials

#8 ·
My last project was a jeep TJ on 37" tires. I'll never run an auto locker, spool, or and other type of non selectable locker on the street. Accelerated wear and drivability suffered a lot. The lockers do a great job but will buck like mad around corners. The elocker got some great reviews and from what I remember, but honestly I don't see what's the benefit over the tracloc our foxes have now. I actually swapped in an 8.8 to the jeep, I could lock up both 37" tires and spin them from a stop with it...

#9 ·
Yeah a jeep on 33s and a mustang on radials have a lot in common. A detroit locker, eaton posi, or spool are all fine unless your idea of performance is a cadillac. I drove a spool on the street and an eaton posi with no issues. Loved the constant both rear wheels traction.

#13 ·
The title of your thread made me laugh a little.( How does this make my rear end look)

I thought my wife started a thread on slacks and jeans.

#16 ·
So I've been looking at getting my diff put together and I decided on a spool. I've been looking for the largest spline count I can find for the 8.8 and it looks like 35 is the best option. Moser has 35s but I was reading that they aren't any larger in diameter than the Strange 33 spline. I also heard that the Stranges were lighter. I would
Strange Pro Race 33 or 35 Spline Axles (1/2″) & Lightweight Spool -
Strange Pro Race Axles (up to 35 spline) (Pair)
Really like these...gun drilled with the 5 holes and the light flanges.

I would like to be loaded for bear. I'm tempted to just with a 9" housing

Goal is car seeing a ton of track with a Dart 427 with an adder (nitrous or turbo)

#24 ·
Stick 8.8. I've built 9" for customers, but I prefer an 8.8, uses less power and the 8.8's look better under the car imho. 8.8 with 9" ends, moser gun drilled and star flanged axles, 35 spline and spool. I can sell you a kit for a great savings as well and have it shipped to yo doh. Make sure tubes are welded and welded well, don't worry how it looks, make it large and goopy and grind it smooth. Remember you are welding cast iron to steel, and if there is not good penetration on the weld, it will still spin the tube. I've seen it a bunch, but guys keep bitching they want pretty little welds, I won't do them.
Use a solid crush sleeve instead of the factory crush sleeve, use a good 9" end, like the moser units as they use the small mustang bearing which will be easy to make work with your brakes and such.
jmho.

Reactions: 1BDSTNG
#22 ·
8.8 with a good posi unit or spool, 33/35 spline axles and good bearings. Done.

8.8s have been very, very fast. 9 Inch will just rob power. My friend has one in his iroc, but that's the only really good rear for that thing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

With what I listed in an 8.8 that should be good for at least 800hp

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 1BDSTNG
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.