Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guy,
Im new on here so im not sure how the stuff works i just had a question or 2.
i have a 2008 V6 i am plannin on runnin 3:73 gears with a t-lok diff and a 75 shot of nitrous. Do i need to replace the driveshaft? all together the car has shorty headers, high flow cats, pypes cat back, richmond 3:73's, t-lok diff, k&n cai, Zex Blackout 75 shot(with all the bells and whistles) and a custom sct tune (done on dyno). now i am serving a tour of duty in south korea so i havent been able to drive or see the number since the car has been done. any idea what the number will look like or e/t? any suggestions?
thanks

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Welcome to Modded Mustangs! (que the trumpets)
And thank you for your Service, truly.

I dont believe driveshaft needs to be replaced, however since your in the military and have sufficient enough funds (im only assuming) to do gears and t-lok you should throw an aluminum or Carbon Fiber driveshaft in there. not needed but would give the butt dyno something to remember.
I'm not sure of the numbers either.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Enough

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'd expect 310-325 or something close to that on a dyno with the gears and what not it will fill like a lot more

and thank you for your service

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Gears don't add power. Just the perseption. And I say less than 300hp..

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
They put down more torque through gear multiplacation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the input guys. I am thinkin of a carbon fiber drive shaft. The only thing that blows is i wont be back in the states to drive her for another month or so.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Thank you for the input guys. I am thinkin of a carbon fiber drive shaft. The only thing that blows is i wont be back in the states to drive her for another month or so.
well in that time check out the stickys in the 05-09 v6 section and look into what mods will give you the best bang for your buck...you'll find that's the best way to go about it...also check out dragtimes.com and look at what other stangs run and see what mods they have. that could give you an even better idea.

6er

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
If your doing nitrous don't worry about hp, nitrous is all about the torque. There is a section on the forums for just 05-09 mustangs, see what they have to say.

Reactions: dgt_mustang

·
Registered
200 Posts
hey guy,
Im new on here so im not sure how the stuff works i just had a question or 2.
i have a 2008 V6 i am plannin on runnin 3:73 gears with a t-lok diff and a 75 shot of nitrous. Do i need to replace the driveshaft? all together the car has shorty headers, high flow cats, pypes cat back, richmond 3:73's, t-lok diff, k&n cai, Zex Blackout 75 shot(with all the bells and whistles) and a custom sct tune (done on dyno). now i am serving a tour of duty in south korea so i havent been able to drive or see the number since the car has been done. any idea what the number will look like or e/t? any suggestions?
thanks
The stock drive shaft on 3.8L mustangs has a habit of getting twisted if you drive it hard. The symptoms are those high speed vibrations that most people associate with a car being old.

I recommend the ford racing aluminum drive shaft. It was about $300 and really smoothed out the 80 mph and higher driving experience. It looks a lot better than a rusty old stock one too!

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
The stock drive shaft on 3.8L mustangs has a habit of getting twisted if you drive it hard. The symptoms are those high speed vibrations that most people associate with a car being old.

I recommend the ford racing aluminum drive shaft. It was about $300 and really smoothed out the 80 mph and higher driving experience. It looks a lot better than a rusty old stock one too!
Original shaft with U-joints = 29lb
Aluminum Shaft with U-joints = 16-17lb.
Carbon Fiber Shaft - about 9-10 pounds

I would go carbon fiber if i had the money :D

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
In a v6 you need rotating mass to keep the engine revved up. Otherwise, every take off you will bog down a lot. Only time it helps is when to have a light car with a lot of power.

That is a good rule of thumb for drives arts and flywheels. I have stock ds and steel flywheel because I need the weight.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
with the lighter weight coming from the driveshaft, doesnt this make the engine have to work less to achieve idle.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
with the lighter weight coming from the driveshaft, doesnt this make the engine have to work less to achieve idle.
Yes. But you need more than just the engine. For a hard launch you need all the power you are making to be put down without anything slipping and or bringing the engine down. Like a heavy flywheel store energy to keep from bring the engine down on any take off. I drove a stang with and alluminum flywheel and ds and it was a bitch to get going. But once it's was going it was fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts