Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it real hard? take a long time? and what cam can i go with if im looking for getting the most extreme cam i can with out changing too much?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
trick flow stage 1 would be a good starter cam. its not bad proly take about 5 hours if your just having fun with it and u have never done it.
1.take off belt,fan,waterpump,radiator,valvecovers,intake,distrubitor
2.the damper will have to be removed with a puller after u take off the pully and the large center bolt.
3.loosen the rockers pull all the rods and use a magnet to pull the lifters and set them in the valley
4.take off the timing cover remember there are 2 bolts that are in the front of the oil pan.
5.set the timing chain so the dots aligned and pull the timing chain.
6.take off the cam retainer and pull the cam.
7.follow instructions backwards. remember to use new gaskets and black high temp silicone.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is that as extreme as i can go without changing anything? i mean its my daily driver but i want as much result as i can get from a cam

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
you cant go just real extreme with the stock springs

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
ya that and your stock heads are not gonna flow enough to make a differnce with a large cam. i have a 347 stroker with ported and polished gt40 p heads and a 5 angle valve job duel springs and new retainers and i am using a trickflo stage 2.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
better sound little longer powerban more power. the cam should be the last thing u do... u should get new heads and intake first or ur gonna have to buy another cam later...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so if u guys dont mind lets talk heads, theres a junkyard i found down the road that may have an explorer......... i hear those come with both gt40 and gt40 p heads? ne of you guys know wt heads usually run at a junkyard?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
u could proly pick up the heads and intake for like 150 make sure its from a 97 1/2 and up explorer if u can but if its older it will heve the gt40 witch are ok just not as good

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do i have to get the valves or rockers or anything off the explorer? and what year do the gt40's stop?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
i think like 94 but if u pull the heads the rockers will come with it u dont need the valvs rockers and springs should still be attached.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
are they hard to pull? ive only helped put the head back onto an s2000 so thats all the experience i have with them, but im sure i can do it when it comes down to the dirty work

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
its easy mostly basic hand tools.. pull the intake upper is held on with like 6 bolts 2 are under the plate on the top which are on with a torqse head screw and the intake is held on with i belive 1/2 or 13mm bolts then the head bolts are the tough ones ur gonna wanna have a good breaker bar and there are 8 on each head 4 inside the valve cover and 4 on the lip where the headers ater. the head may need a bump with a hammer to break it looks from the gasket but its easy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts