Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
It's not easy being green!
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well about 2 weeks ago I saw a grease spot under my car, under the right rear tire leaking down my brakes on the inside . I drove up to my local mechanic and he told me it was axle grease and that I needed my seals and breaings replaced. He quoted around 300 bucks to fix it. Now I haven't been driving at all lately because I don't want it getting any worse and there's no major or even minor noises coming from my axle but I was wondering how difficult it would be for me and my dad to do this ourselves?? I mean if I could save that much money I would like to but I'm not sure. It seems fairly easy to do from what I have read online but wanted to get your guys input. What do you think?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I replaced the axle seal on my KW 900 it took me three hours so I couldn't imagine a car being all that difficult. I'll tell you it is messy I recommend jacking the side of the car your working on up. less axle oil will come out. You may get away without replacing the bearings. Good luck and post us a write up with some mad pics.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Seal and bearings is a breeze on the cars.

You simply:

Jack up the ass, block the front, and take the park brake off.

Remove rear wheels

Remove calipers and pads

Remove caliper bracket and rotor

Open diff cover

Pull out both C-clips (Remove the 5/16 bolt hold the center pin in, and slide out the center pin. Push the axle in and rotate and they will just fall out)

Slide the axle out

Remove seal (there is a tool for this called... yup... a seal remover)

Remove the bearings (You need a slide hammer and an internal/external 3-jaw attachment)

Install new bearing (You can use a socket that will just barely slide in the axle tube. That or a bearing/race driver set)

Lightly grease the bearing

Install seal (Use what you used for the bearing)

-Slide axle back in(Make sure it slides into the diff)

-Reinstall C-clip ( - means repeat on other side before moving on)

Reinstall Pin

Reinstall diff cover with new gasket

Fill it with two bottles of diff fluid (75w90 oil, synth. or conv.)

Reinstall brakes and wheels

Enjoy.

Reactions: ComTruise

·
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm doesn't seem that bad. Should be able to do this ourselves

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
I did it to my car with my dad. Only took about 2 hours. And this is when I had no idea what anything on the car did.

·
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Red, reps :)

I'm also gonna get one of those Haynes manuals to help........was gonna get one anyway.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
It's a good thing to have. I used it a lot.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Good time to install some gears.. Rearend work isn't as tough as people play it out to be.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Good time to install some gears.. Rearend work isn't as tough as people play it out to be.
+1

I rebuilt my [8.8] rear end with new bearing and seals, rebuilt the posi with carbon fiber clutches, and geared it myself.

It was a breeze.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
dial indicator is for measuring backlash on the gears im assuming? i cant image he would need it for replacing bearings and seals

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
I didn't say he did to replace the seal. For gear install he would

You also use it to measure axle endplay and ring gear runout

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Too much end play means a rattle while driving. Very annoying.

I think we are confusing him green..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts