Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how high you can rev a stock 3.8 without risking damage to any of the factory components or floating the valves. I just want to have this info as reference for future mods because there's no point in buying a cam or any other parts that make power at a higher RPM if it's in that RPM range that our valves are known to float or our rods start to come apart.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I don't know at what point it becomes unsafe to the engine, but I upped my rev limiter to 6k. I've only pushed it up to 6k a few times and the engine doesn't seem to like it very much :dunno

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
I don't want to come off as mean because I am far from it.... But, no... Just no. You will bend a rod, or worse.

Imo no more than 5250rpm's. My car has seen red line twice.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I don't want to come off as mean because I am far from it.... But, no... Just no. You will bend a rod, or worse.

It depends on how long you leave it there too. When I first got my car I was scared to redline it, thinking it would hurt it. But my car has seen redline quite a few times (mostly 3rd gear getting on the highway) and the worst it has is a little lifter tick that has been there since I bought the car :dunno I would never let it redline for more than a few seconds, that's just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a better question to ask, why do you want to rev a 3.8 so high? they sound like ricers at high rpms. My rev limiter is set at 6500rpms but it's never broken 5k rpms its just unsafe for the motor to go that high, plus it sounds like a honda.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts

It can rev as high as he wants it to
Its just how long will it last.. it can see past 5250.. **** 6k is perfect:yes I wouldnt suggest going over that too often

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
I have a better question to ask, why do you want to rev a 3.8 so high? they sound like ricers at high rpms. My rev limiter is set at 6500rpms but it's never broken 5k rpms its just unsafe for the motor to go that high, plus it sounds like a honda.
You wont hit vtec until 5500 thats why

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Just gonna throw this out there, I'm pretty sure our engines power peaks around 5250rpm so there's not really any point in pushing it further.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Just gonna throw this out there, I'm pretty sure our engines power peaks around 5250rpm so there's not really any point in pushing it further.
5500.. Our valve springs are junk /

I forgot who it was but they said they made good power at 6k after their cam install still

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
LOL

when i was stock, i bought my tuner and let Bama do the rest.
Shift point from 1 - 2 was 6000 RPM

ive done it 100 times. NEVER had a problem. Even though I am starting to wonder if it contributed to my cam bearins looking the way they did lol

Anyways, Stock my car shifted like 200 into redline in 1 to 2.

Now the other gears had lower changes, simply because they do go through the RPMS as fast. Hence they dont need to stay in high rpm like that for long.

Yes peak power is is about 5250, there is a point in pushing it further ... For both auto and stick. If you shift @ 5250, what RPM range will you be in the next gear ?? 4000 ?? Just a guess im not sure lol But anyways. Now your 1200 below peak power at the beginning of that gear. If you would have shifted at 6000, you'll be 500 away from peak power.

1250 rpm and can quite a bit of climbing to do when .1 seconds count.

So the point of shifting higher is so that when you do shift, your closer to the peak power of the next gear, there fore you dont have to build up to max power near as long. Just think if you could have that max power to the wheels from the time you start till you finish, instead of having to build up to it, and build up to it, and build up to it again...
Thats what it helps you do, stay closer to the max power in each gear.

Yes it sounds like ****, but if your at the strip and you are seriously trying to race, you might as well hand the Vtech guy if you shift @ 5000-5250 .... Losing alot of time that way.

Now, I know a guy w/o a stock motor that can shift to 6500. His name is ***-^[email protected]*

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have a better question to ask, why do you want to rev a 3.8 so high
well i do it cause i wanna giddy up!!! :)

but yeah ive only pushed mine around 5 or so a couple of times...i went over it once and it and didnt like it all too much...but i like to keep it around 3 now :)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I think 6k is all you want to do stock, well that's what mine shifts with automatic with moved shift points. With a cam and new valve springs you can rev higher, I think maybe 6.5? Nothing wrong about redlining it than shifting, its when you don't shift is the problem.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
if you want to be the fastest shift at 5.8-6k stock. i take it to about 6.2k with my cam. no be afraid to rev your engine guys the stock cam is what limits the rpm because the stock cam sucks and power drops off after 5500. as long as the motor is N/A there shouldnt be any problem taking it to 6.5k but only if you had a cam that actually made power that high.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
on a stock motor 5 speed, youd probably want to shift at like...

1st: 6k
2nd: 5.75k
and the rest: 5.5k

no sense to rev past 5.5k once your in 3rd and 4th because torque would be so low past 5.5 that it wouldn't be worth it and you wont be able to pull the car at high speed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think some of you guys are missing the point here, I wasn't asking how high I can rev a stock 3.8 because I want to take my stock 3.8 up to 7000RPM, that would be pointless since it makes no power there.

I'm asking because for example if I were to install a cam that made power up to 7000RPM could I just install that cam, or is our engine known to have rod failures or drop valves in that range? Do these engines have oiling issues at high RPMs?

I have no intention of taking a stock 3.8 past 5250RPM I just want to know what stock components are prone to failure so if I cam my car I can replace them before they break and not after. I just want to make informed decisions so I don't do anything stupid out of ignorance.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I think some of you guys are missing the point here, I wasn't asking how high I can rev a stock 3.8 because I want to take my stock 3.8 up to 7000RPM, that would be pointless since it makes no power there.

I'm asking because for example if I were to install a cam that made power up to 7000RPM could I just install that cam, or is our engine known to have rod failures or drop valves in that range? Do these engines have oiling issues at high RPMs?

I have no intention of taking a stock 3.8 past 5250RPM I just want to know what stock components are prone to failure so if I cam my car I can replace them before they break and not after. I just want to make informed decisions so I don't do anything stupid out of ignorance.
with a cam and new valve springs, i dont see why 6500rpm would be any problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts