Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I just put on a Steeda cowl hood and 03 04 cobra bumper.

The steeda cowl hood i had painted by the guy who had it. he's got his own shop and does all his own work. He said to wait 3 months before I could polish. What do you guys think?

For the 03 04 cobra hood, I ordered one of the re painted ones off ebay and wasn't sure how long I should wait for that one either.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Yeah, I'm waiting 35 for my fresh paint on my door. I just wanted to be conservative for someone else's car.

·
( o )( o )
276 Posts
It will depend on the type of paint/clear he used.

I tell my customers anywhere from a month to a month and a half depending on the clear I use.

Any watch out forr bird ****. Wipe that **** off right away. That will eat into the clear like no tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ebay I really have no idea, so I guess I'll do the 40-60 days for the bumper. The guy who painted the hood said 3 months, but im sure 60 days would be fine.

Lol i'm already dying to polish it. Was about to go out and wash it but its raining a little so i'm waiting for it to clear up.

Thanks for the answers!

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Lol, the clear will not peel if you wax. The entire point of the wait period is so the paint can "breath".

Chemicals that are mixed in with the paint are applied when it is sprayed onto the car. These chemicals help it to lay down properly and not clog up the spray gun. These same chemicals need to "exhaust" out of the paint. If they do not, the paint will never be as "hard" as it's meant to be... it will be very soft and thus chip easy.

The norm is 60-90 days before you can put any type of sealer on the paint. I would not even wash it very hard for at least a week.

• Soft washes (no strong chemicals) - 1 week
  • Wax/Sealant - 60~90 days

The soft washes are just a precaution while the paint cures.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok cool. I washed it yesterday but the paint was actually done last Saturday so I think I should be alright there? I used the Adams Shampoo which they say isn't a chemically strong wash i believe.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
The ebay I really have no idea, so I guess I'll do the 40-60 days for the bumper. The guy who painted the hood said 3 months, but im sure 60 days would be fine.

Lol i'm already dying to polish it. Was about to go out and wash it but its raining a little so i'm waiting for it to clear up.

Thanks for the answers!
If the guy said 90 days wait 90 days before you WAX or SEAL the paint, Paint is releasing gases from the pours for the next 90 days, waxes and sealants dont allow the paint to breathe.

****... Really?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
yea bird crap is very very acidic, if you dont remove it very quickly it can etch youre clear to the point that you have to wetsand it to fix it. Some paints are worse than others. Keeping a fresh coat of LSP on your paint helps buy you time for wiping it off.

now is this wait time just for polishing? Or does it include everything from claying, polishing, waxing, etc.
Ok cool. I washed it yesterday but the paint was actually done last Saturday so I think I should be alright there? I used the Adams Shampoo which they say isn't a chemically strong wash i believe.
What Zat said^^

Just make sure you use your adams shampoo at the proper dilution ratio listed for the product, then you should be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts