Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this may sound like a dumb question but like they say, the only stupid question is a question unasked!!! how many quarts does a 2004 gt take? i put 5 and it seems like its not even showing on the dipstick

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
ok this may sound like a dumb question but like they say, the only stupid question is a question unasked!!! how many quarts does a 2004 gt take? i put 5 and it seems like its not even showing on the dipstick
6 quarts, the motor holds roughly 5.5 and then the other for the filter:yes

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
you can always just put in some, then check, and add accordingly...

i put in 6.5 and it keeps it a tad below the max dot...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
This reminds me, I need to change mine tomorrow. Can't decide if I wanna take it some where or just do it myself like you did.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I run 6.5-7 qts. After allowing for the filter and oil suspended in the heads I think it's the perfect for a high reving engine.

Stock 4.6 pan below. Food for thought guys..

2.5 Quarts

3 Quarts

4 Quarts

6 Quarts

7 Quarts

9 Quarts

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
damn George, why are you giving us all the finger? :D

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
I always did 6.5 qts.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Im not even going to get into this with Jive but there is NO need to run More then 6 Quarts.Even with a "High Reving Engine"

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Well don't get into it. But the these cars heads drain back slower than oil is injected in to them. I have been discussing this with others for 9 years already. I already believe what I believe. I wonder why they make 7 qt aftermarket oil pans?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I wonder why they make 7 qt aftermarket oil pans?
Could not have said it better my self.

Your Stock pan is Not a Aftermarket oil pan, All your doing is slinging oil.
And Putting 7 Quarts of oil in a 6 Quart pan is doing more bad then good.
But like you said you believe what you believe.

Wonder why they make Crank Scrapers and Windage Trays?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
At 6.5-7 qt's the scrappers are still well out of the oil. My point is extra oil will help and it will help even adding a little to the stock one. The crank sits well above the bottom of the block. It not like the extra oil is getting slung around.

Windange trays are really not as necessary in a 4.6, because of the postion of the crank. Plus not all the oil is down in the pan all the time. For me I even have the oil fed sc. I remember having this very same conversation over at modularfords, modulardepot and modularpowerhouse back in the day.

I'll keep doing it while I beat the crap out of my 4 year old shortblock the see's 7k+ rpm's several times a month. I also keep in mind that I have over heated it twice. leaned it out so bad it has melted plugs and chucked one out and I just rethreaded in the car. Then put down 665, 6 months later. I'm glad the extra .5-1qt didn't help finish it off under those circumstances.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My 2002 Takes 6.5 before it hits full on the dipstick

arguing this point with somone that owns a prior model than a new edge wouldnt understand because at 5 - 6 quarts they'res read full on the dipstick

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
jivepepper, all im saying is if you want to run 7 quarts more power to you but the correct way is to buy a 7 quart pan.Thats all.

Then in your Case you can Run 8 Quarts ;)

I know that i would have issues running 7 Quarts considering my rotating assembly swings below the bottom of the block.

arguing this point with somone that owns a prior model than a new edge wouldnt understand because at 5 - 6 quarts they'res read full on the dipstick

Judging someones knowledge by what year car they own is funny, You got alot of learning to do.:p

My 98 has a 04 motor:eek:.

And just for the Record my 98 when i still had the 4.6 Read Full at 6 Quarts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts