Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing oil again, ive always thought it was 5 quarts, but i read a thread about it and everyone was saying 6. Is everyone using 6 quarts?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
To quote:

I run 6.5-7 qts. After allowing for the filter and oil suspended in the heads I think it's the perfect for a high reving engine.

Stock 4.6 pan below. Food for thought guys..

2.5 Quarts

3 Quarts

4 Quarts

6 Quarts

7 Quarts

9 Quarts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot, is it alright that ive used 5 all the times before that? I mean it still shows full on my dipstick.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
There is no exact amount due to different things. Buy 6 quarts. Put 5, check the dip stick, add as needed until full. Simple as that. One guy may say his car takes 5 one may say his car takes 6. The only way to find out what YOUR car takes is to pour in the minimum, check the level, then add any if needed.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i've always found 5.5 to be sufficient. just gotta play with it a little

·
Registered
980 Posts
The manual says 5, I do 5, and I have no problem. But as ajm said, your car may be different.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
in my experience, most have taken 6, i dont think i've ever done one that was full at 5.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,102 Posts
And now for the WHOLE story.

In 2002, Ford changed the owners manual and the dipstick on the 4.6 Mustang motor to require 6 quarts of oil after dealing with excessive warranty claims due to oil starvation when running 5 quarts in the 2V modular motor. Once again, there were no mechanical changes. Ford simply changed the fluid requirement to 6 quarts. If you have a 4.6 built prior to 2002, your dipstick will read full when it is one quart low. Sustained runs at high Rpm's will leave the oil pan dry eventually.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks ac gonna go put that other quart in there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts