Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i think im going to buy some ported gt40 heads how much would it be to install them?

i need to know the hours of the install this usually takes or just assume a $90 labor rate

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
why wouldn't you do it yourself?

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no time nor do i know how and nor does my dad want to teach me

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
no time nor do i know how and nor does my dad want to teach me
its easy man,get a chiltons and a couple tools and make time.How old are you?

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im 18 i dont want to learn right now can someone just tell me a labor price

really i do someday but right now there is no way im going to sit there and **** up my daily driver trying to install heads and my entire engine is under warranty through the shop and i dont want to void that either since they just fixed my radiator for free

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pretend i am rich and have thousands to spend

now can someone answer the question ;)

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
im 18 i dont want to learn right now can someone just tell me a labor price

really i do someday but right now there is no way im going to sit there and **** up my daily driver trying to install heads and my entire engine is under warranty through the shop and i dont want to void that either since they just fixed my radiator for free
9 hours of labor on a 302 IIRC

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol are you serious................

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
lol are you serious................
mhm........

i helped a friend of mine do it himself for the first time ever....took him 3.5 full 8 hour days. Keep in mind, it was his first time ever doing domething like that outside of highschool.

i also had to have my head gasket replaced once, which is what my friend was doing himself, and it cost me $460 back in 2001 with a labor rate of $65 bux an hour

u do the math. I also new the shop owner

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
welll yea but how long would a shop take im sure it would be a lot faster...

and see now you just proved i dont have the time to do that or be without my car for a week and then risk messing it up

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
went in 1 morning and came out the following days afternoon

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
anywhere from 4-8 hours is a good time range for people who know what they are doing and are at it with a good pace and few breaks, that is if nothing goes wrong...

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anywhere from 4-8 hours is a good time range for people who know what they are doing and are at it with a good pace and few breaks, that is if nothing goes wrong...
ok good to know THANK YOU for answering the question asked in the first post

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
Well i cannot blame them for telling you to do it yourself...But seeing as you're in a hurry, and cannot, i told you what most performance shops will take....

What else is on the car? Are you just doing heads? Roller Rockers?

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ford racing cam (not sure which one) stock heads, elbrock manifold from the 80s :) it was suppose to mimic the ones that were on the cobra, edelbrock carb and rockers with heads is kind of a must right....

headers already on their not sure which again you heard the exhaust clip damniit

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
I would have to see a pic of them to tell what kind of headers they are lol...You can use the stock rockers will work but while you're there you might as well put some on...That could possibly change your pushrod length too, but i am not for sure.

Make sure you know what you are buying. Who were the heads ported by? Any receipts of the porting, or any flow numbers? Dont want to buy junk heads that someone messed up while attempting to port them.

I personally like my B303, but if i had one more shot i would have got the TFS stage 1 camshaft. You might want to find out what cam you have for sure...it might affect what ratio roller rockers you get.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
ok good to know THANK YOU for answering the question asked in the first post
Hey, i answered too........

just cause a brotha has a 4.6 doesn't mean he can't help

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have to see a pic of them to tell what kind of headers they are lol...You can use the stock rockers will work but while you're there you might as well put some on...That could possibly change your pushrod length too, but i am not for sure.

Make sure you know what you are buying. Who were the heads ported by? Any receipts of the porting, or any flow numbers? Dont want to buy junk heads that someone messed up while attempting to port them.

I personally like my B303, but if i had one more shot i would have got the TFS stage 1 camshaft. You might want to find out what cam you have for sure...it might affect what ratio roller rockers you get.

who im going to knows they put the cam in and they know everything about the engine they pulled it

oh and they will be pulled from junkyard and ported through whatever machine shop they contract

i just dont want my compression to change will it with ported heads?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
you should just look on craigslist for a mechanic looking for side work i bet they will do it for 200 plus gaskets....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts