Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am working on the 91 GT at the moment and was woundering about Nitrous in a post and a supercharger in another, and im not sure what i should do, or neither. I was thinking of maybe doing a supercharger sometime down the road, but dont want to do a Trick flow engine kit if the engine block and tranny cant hold the HP.
Those TFS kits are suppose to put out about 350HP. + a Supercharger would put me to the point where i would fear of damaging the block or something. I just figured that that seemed like a lot of HP for a stock motor and/or tranny, am i right or wrong here? I just wanted to know b/c if i did want to put a SC on it at some point i would assume i would have to get a new more HP capable Engine block, correct? So to save me the time and spending double the money should i buy a new Engine block that can hold more HP now?
If so what company or place is good, and affordable? I dont care if its Cast or anything ( i hear they are cheaper ) I just would want it to be able to hold the HP. Anyways so let me know what ya think guys, and any sites that maybe i could get a new block from, and if i should bother or not, thanks for the help! - The Novice.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
I have been hearing 500hp im assuming at the block. there are some 302 built blocks that can handle more and you can swap all the parts off your 302 or you can go 351 and only swap some of the parts. it depends how much hp you are looking for. the more hp you try to pull from a small engine the less reliable it will be. So if your goal is 500 hp a 351 or stroked 351 should take on more hp with better reliablity.

then you can save your money for your broken drivetrain

·
Registered
401 Posts
Stock block will hold up to 500hp for a while if tuned right... but your beter off buying a 347 shortblock that can hold so much more then that depending on where you buy it from...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well if ya have any links of know of good affordable priced places let me know, i was thinking 5.4L or something, but maybe a 347. Btw i dont understand how having shallower side walls ( from the bore being bigger ) Makes it safer, woudnt it be more of a weak point for a crack?
But anyways like i said i dont care if its cast or alloy, what ever can hold the HP and is affordable. Another things i a went to a shop and asked how much it would cost to bore 40 over they said $1200 i was like what!? So i said F it and am now considering a new block for more HP. Anywho thanks for any help guys and any links or company's ya know of that are good and/or affordable, much appriciated!
Finally whats the difference between a "stroker" and normal engine, is it just the size? Oh an i was looking for the HP range of 600-800 max HP. Thanks again!

·
Registered
401 Posts
talk to woody about building you a block I've only heard really good things about him this summer I will more then likely get my 347 block from him... and very good prices as well

·
Registered
401 Posts
woody he builds blocks, motors, and sells them at really good prices... Hear his stuff is really good too... he will probably chime in in a little bit..

·
Registered
401 Posts
LOL!!! that has nothing to do with being fast... you want reliable is the most important all of your components that you choose to build the shortblock is what makes it fast or not... the shortblock is what holds everything you want something reliable to be able to hold good power..

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i was thinking of getting the Trick Flow engine kit if i got a new block that can hold more HP for the longterm, then i wouldnt have to worry about upgrades down the road. Or if i got a new block would the trickflow kit not work?
So im willing to spend money, but i only make so much a week :p

·
Registered
401 Posts
just get the trick flow kit you will be fine you won't need a new block from using the trick flow kit

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah but down the road im thinking i wanna get a SC, and that with the 350 HP from the TFS kit would Kill my engine for sure, so thats why i was woundering.

Anyone know of any shops or websites?

·
Registered
401 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts