Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I saw this episode of Top Gear for some time now, but now that iam thinking of buying one. that question came to my mind.

we all know that the GT500 typed on the side of the Shelby means that it has 500hp.

But on this episode they tested the GT500 on the "Rolling road" and the actual HP is not 500 but actually .... "447 hp"

Now iam thinking of buying a 2009 GT500, my question does it really have 447 hp and not 500 as it is clearly mentioned ?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It has 500 HP at the crank. But thanks to transmission loss, it has 447 at the wheels. This is true for every car. New mustang GT's are rated at 300 hp, but are actually making closer to 275 at the wheels.

No car company advertises the power at the wheels, just because it is a lower number and looks less impressive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stell a badass car even at 447 horse, and you could go buy a just a GT and mod it to be better than that, but it's just kinda nice to be able to cruise around and say "Yep, it's a real gt500" I've seen alotta 05-09 gt wannabe's

·
Registered
282 Posts
I saw a 04 sonic blue cobra with a 30,000 mile with a 2.2kb that put down 600rwhp for 22,000$ and the 04 cobra is faster than the gt 500.

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
04 cobra is not faster than a gt500... unless it is modded and gt500 is stock. which is kinda dumb to compare, stock for stock, gt500 is much more impressive.

the gt500 have 500 hp at crank, and usually most cars lose about 17% of the hp from the flywheel to the wheels. so 447 hp is very good. although there may be higher hp readings from other gt500s. since the engine is homemade, there'll be factory freaks.

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
btw, dont believe everything top gear says... one show, jeremy clarkson was driving a 2005 4.0L v6 and said that it was a 4.6L gt... then did a challenge against a racehorse on dirt track. the v6 is also an automatic and a convertible. worst possible stang in worse possible track for this challenge. so of course the mustang lost. top gear can be very biased.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
And fwiw, it's not about 'factory freaks'. All engines will produce different numbers, especially when measured at the wheels.

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
i agree with jeremy tho in the fact that id rather have the roush

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is a stage 3 roush putting out more torque and horsepower than a gt500? I've never looked that up before, but dont' feel like it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
A 03-04 cobra does not have nearly the potential of the gt500. Your all forgetting that the GT500 has the 5.4L motor in it. Pretty big difference. And a Stock gt500 with a new Whipple can put down over 800 rwhp, thats not something a 4.6 will make without a pretty extreme set up.

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
A 03-04 cobra does not have nearly the potential of the gt500. Your all forgetting that the GT500 has the 5.4L motor in it. Pretty big difference. And a Stock gt500 with a new Whipple can put down over 800 rwhp, thats not something a 4.6 will make without a pretty extreme set up.
+1. doubt itll make 800 rwhp by a whipple alone though. mod for mod, the gt500 has more potential. if you do it right, you can easily see 1000 rwhp.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
^^ I believe they just added new injectors and a new fuel pump. Otherwise I believe that was it. It it was a MM&FF article about the Mammoth 3.1L Whipple blower.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
"id have one of those if i was the sort of person that looked at my sister and thought mmmmm"

:lmao

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has 500 HP at the crank. But thanks to transmission loss, it has 447 at the wheels. This is true for every car. New mustang GT's are rated at 300 hp, but are actually making closer to 275 at the wheels.

No car company advertises the power at the wheels, just because it is a lower number and looks less impressive.
Aha ... you see i Didn't know that ... so now i feel sad lol :p ... Well the lost 53hp isn't going to make a huge difference.

Plus from now on, ill just lie about it and say no the car really has 500hp so i can look cool lol

Stell a badass car even at 447 horse, and you could go buy a just a GT and mod it to be better than that, but it's just kinda nice to be able to cruise around and say "Yep, it's a real gt500" I've seen alotta 05-09 gt wannabe's
True, the car alone is cool, plus i don't even think i'm gonna be using all of that hp lol

I saw a 04 sonic blue cobra with a 30,000 mile with a 2.2kb that put down 600rwhp for 22,000$ and the 04 cobra is faster than the gt 500.
Hrmmmm, but no supercharger sound :/

04 cobra is not faster than a gt500... unless it is modded and gt500 is stock. which is kinda dumb to compare, stock for stock, gt500 is much more impressive.

the gt500 have 500 hp at crank, and usually most cars lose about 17% of the hp from the flywheel to the wheels. so 447 hp is very good. although there may be higher hp readings from other gt500s. since the engine is homemade, there'll be factory freaks.
Well i just learned that lol, i thought that when ever a car has like "Number" of hp then thats it. thats whats going to the wheels and so on. guess i was wrong lol

btw, dont believe everything top gear says... one show, jeremy clarkson was driving a 2005 4.0L v6 and said that it was a 4.6L gt... then did a challenge against a racehorse on dirt track. the v6 is also an automatic and a convertible. worst possible stang in worse possible track for this challenge. so of course the mustang lost. top gear can be very biased.
Well thats why i posted it here in the Dungeon of the Dragons of Mustangs so you guys would clear that thought for me :D

And fwiw, it's not about 'factory freaks'. All engines will produce different numbers, especially when measured at the wheels.
Live more, learn more !. well now i have to fly all the way to the US and go to the ford factory so i can give like cookies and massages to the person whos gonna be working on my mustang so he can make Ze Best One ! lol

i agree with jeremy tho in the fact that id rather have the roush
I don't know, GT500 sounds better to me. i have no idea if the roush is better logically or not i'm just saying that i like saying GT500 than Roush lol

Is a stage 3 roush putting out more torque and horsepower than a gt500? I've never looked that up before, but dont' feel like it.
>.> no idea what you guys are talking about lol

nope, it just goes around their track faster than a gt500. couple seconds i believe
yeah i believe thats because the "Sport" suspensions, which gives it better seconds around corners :D while the GT500 takes the corners side ways lol

800hp wow, now that would really wake up my neighbors :D

+1. doubt itll make 800 rwhp by a whipple alone though. mod for mod, the gt500 has more potential. if you do it right, you can easily see 1000 rwhp.
Ok things are getting out of control here lol

^^ I believe they just added new injectors and a new fuel pump. Otherwise I believe that was it. It it was a MM&FF article about the Mammoth 3.1L Whipple blower.
Yet another thing i have no idea about lol

"id have one of those if i was the sort of person that looked at my sister and thought mmmmm"

:lmao
LOL

Duuuuuuddddeeee quit stalling and buy the shelby already :D
ROFL ok ok, i'm just like the Lord of Superstitious people ! i like to think and question alot before buying anything lol .. but one day ill get it don't worry

And when that day comes ill post so much pics about my new car YOU will post DUDE STOP POSTING SO MUCH PICS WE GET IT ALREADY

ROFL

+ a freaking million :D
haha lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts

the gt 500 super snake just has a bigger supercharger, injectors and something else i believe and its making 750 hp

1 - 20 of 24 Posts