Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on how much hp a stock cast crank can handle? I have heard that it can withstand upwards of 800hp just fine. Anyone have any info to back this up with?

Im going to be doing a rebuild soon and would like to make around 600hp to the wheels. I know a forged crank would be the best way to go but that will cost me about $700 more because i will have to get a new aluminum flywheel with an 8 bolt pattern. So if i dont need to i wont.

Anyways, let me know what you people think!

·
Registered
11 Posts
correct me if im wrong someone.. but i believe 700hp(crank) is the safe area for our cranks i wouldnt try above that so you should be fine ive seen cobras with more but i have no idea if that bottom end is the same as a a regular gt

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
400-425 is the limit
not for the crank

Can anyone back up their opinions with some builds, dyno slips, ect...
people have put 650rwhp thru them all day long. ton of people getting 600rwhp, most ok builds (budget minded) are still on stock crank. if going past 650, i reccommend going to a forged piece.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
not for the crank.
Not for the Crank no The Rods Yes... I did not see any information about rods so i just assumed he was talking stock crank rods etc.Maybe if he gave a little more information i could give him a better answer but since information was limited thats why i said 400-425 just to be safe.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Can anyone back up their opinions with some builds, dyno slips, ect...

Just say someone dynos there car and it makes 800RWHP and it has a stock crank, the dyno sheet don't mean **** when it spits the crank in the street the following week.You can make it make 800RWHP with a stock crank but it will never stay together.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
treated stock crank will. stock cranks are very very stout. like i said before, 650+rwhp, then go ahead and invest into a forged piece. if 650 and under, just run the stocker.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
not for the crank

people have put 650rwhp thru them all day long. ton of people getting 600rwhp, most ok builds (budget minded) are still on stock crank. if going past 650, i reccommend going to a forged piece.

yea man if you do a little more research around the web you'll find out our cranks are pretty dang good.

sean hyland motorsports in their "High-Performance Mustang Build…"
he claims that our cranks can hold up to 700 hp.

but then again...who knows maybe sean hyland doesnt know what hes talking about :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
and for the record cobra's have the forged steel crankshaft....once again quoted from Mr. Sean Hyland himself.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
what do you mean by "treated"?
cast cranks can be treated for more strength.

yea man if you do a little more research around the web you'll find out our cranks are pretty dang good.

sean hyland motorsports in their "High-Performance Mustang Build…"
he claims that our cranks can hold up to 700 hp.

but then again...who knows maybe sean hyland doesnt know what hes talking about :rolleyes:
sean hyland.........eh..............yes and no. there are a lot of things that isnt 100% correct.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
+1 ^ i agree not everything is 100%. but we can easly conclude that people are running 600hp all day. in a few cases of the people ive talked to, they were all putting 600 ish hp to the wheel on a stock crank. and their cars are still runnning like champs :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, basically my rwhp goal of 600 should be fine on the stock crank...and yes i will be using forged rods and pistons.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Speaking of blowing out the bottom end, what actually happens? I would guess that it would damage more than just the crank but i have never seen this since most of the cars i deal with day to day are just peoples daily drivers, few of which even have sports cars. And of the ones who do have sports cars non of them drive them the way they are ment to be driven...fast and hard...if they did i would know.

If anyone has pictures of a blown bottom end that would be great.(sorry in advance if it is from your car, but congrats at the same time...battle scars are awsome after they heal!)

To me there is nothing cooler then a car that gets used, abused, fixed, abused again, fixed again, ect...like mine. I cant stand trailer cars! They are nice and cool to look at, but otherwise pointless and boaring.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
btw, sweet2kstang, i still dont know what you mean by treated crank. What exactly is the process. Is it just getting you rotating assembly balanced or does it involve some kind of case harding heating process, or coatings maybe? Please explain.

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
Speaking of blowing out the bottom end, what actually happens? I would guess that it would damage more than just the crank but i have never seen this since most of the cars i deal with day to day are just peoples daily drivers, few of which even have sports cars. And of the ones who do have sports cars non of them drive them the way they are ment to be driven...fast and hard...if they did i would know.

If anyone has pictures of a blown bottom end that would be great.(sorry in advance if it is from your car, but congrats at the same time...battle scars are awsome after they heal!)

To me there is nothing cooler then a car that gets used, abused, fixed, abused again, fixed again, ect...like mine. I cant stand trailer cars! They are nice and cool to look at, but otherwise pointless and boaring.
just depends really, it could be really bad or it can be all internal, one part or several. depends on how lucky you are lol, but seriously, it varies

1 - 20 of 29 Posts