Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all have these dreams of building the biggest baddest car on the street, But how much HP do you feel is enough to feel like the king of the street and still be able to drive anywhere you want? Im just wondering how much everyone thinks is the perfect streetable HP combination to not always be looking aroung your shoulder at the next car that revs its motor at you.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Meh, you can make 200rwhp not streetable....too many factors in this

I'd do about 1000rwhp, depending on suspension and tires or course.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I think 650-700rwhp is great. Sure you can keep it street able.

With a turbo, I'm sure you could make 900+ streetable

·
Power In The Hands of, Me
213 Posts
It really just depends on the driver. I have a 550hp 2006 Saleen s/c, and I could always use more, haha, but it's plenty for my every day driver. My wife has a pretty stock 2013 GT, and she absolutely wants no more power. Then I have buds who are only around 300hp, and in their words, "I thought I was working with something!" My .02, as long as I can spank a vette, I'm happy!!

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Id say 600-700 with proper suspension and tires and 99.8% of the cars on the street wont touch it unless you run into some sort of freak car cruise. Lol. Hell, id say my car with a measly 312hp is faster than most cars on the street. Ive only met a couple rice burners that are actually quick at the track

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well this was.just a general question there are lot of fast cars out there now so I think Id feel pretty confident at around.600

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Yep, I feel like 1000 through a compound boost setup would be sex.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Watch out for GTRs. Those things are nasty. Those are all drivetrain. They have such a sick gearing setup

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The answer to your question is somewhat complicated. It depends entirely on how you use your car and how someone else uses theirs. Let's take two hypothetical drivers and cars. One drives their car every day, rain or shine and sometimes in snow putting on 15,000 miles per you on the odometer. And experienced driver could probably go as high as 500 rwhp with the right tires and gears. The second driver puts 1500 miles per year on his car only driving it to and from the track on sunshiny days. He runs 700 rwhp. Can his car beat the first car, yes.

In the old days it was different. We street raced our daily drivers. Nowadays if you want the baddest car on the road you need a garage queen that only come out in sunshiny weather. My neighbor has two. Both are 1960 something big block Dodges. His fastest run 12.8. Even with me driving my Mustang ran 12.7. So sometimes daily drivers can beat garage queens.

I think DSGPony is correct. Pretty much the only way a safe daily driver will be King is with a compound setup. Perhaps 500 rwhp on a daily basis with boost and nitrous to take it to 700 rwhp when you encounter garage queens.

·
Registered
601 Posts
4 Digits! Once you hit that magic 1,000 HP #, you're in a whole other league!

But honestly, my car was the most fun with the stock-block and 10psi through my Procharger. It was like a silky smooth daily driver, reliable as hell and just enough power for my 3100lb car. I wish I had thrown more $$ into a corner carving suspension back then.

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
650-700whp range on the streets is plenty and can be fairly street-able. Unless you're racing high mph rolls or running qtp's or a similar race tire on the street, I see 700whp+ as flatout dangerous/useless for the street. Depends on if it's a Roots/TS or a Centri/Turbo. But to be one of the top dogs around here, I say high 800's low 900's.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Probably 750 for DDing plus another 250 on nitrous or increased boost for race days or if someone wants to talk **** or I come across a 1000cc bike

·
Registered
800 Posts
Also depends on the setup. You can hardly drive a high HP big c.i. engine with a high stall in the rain or around town, but you can drive a turbo car pretty much anywhere if you stay out of it.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Yep, I feel like 1000 through a compound boost setup would be sex.
I like this idea. BRB, have to go put my HX50 on the car and go to a return fuel system, then I should be there...

But right now at about 550hp, I definitely don't feel all that quick. It makes a good DD, though it's a tempermental bitch, nothing to do with power level, just lots of sketchy work throughout I still don't 100% trust.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Actually, now that I've thought about it, I'm not sure the higher horsepower car would win. Its not a prepped track with heated slicks. Whoever plants the power to the ground would win. Spinning ain't winning. Lower horsepower cars beat higher horsepower cars all the time.

Oh, for a heads up race, reaction time counts.

Edit: It also depends on if we are talking straight lines or twisties. I had a guy challenge me a long time ago to a race from Mariposa to Merced. He was ahead of me until I found a straight stretch. I passed him. He stayed on my bumper until we got down to the flatland. Then I was gone.

·
Engine Desroyer
522 Posts
I think down here around 500-600 will be ok for streets and daily driver...

·
Banned
10,319 Posts
Over 900, namely because there is a 850rwhp streetable EVO around here. Oh well, there is soon to be a ~1000rwhp twin turbo terminator running around.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
If your car can run in the 10's in the 1/4 no matter what hp it makes it wont
have to worry about to many car on the street.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts