Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the capability of 89 octane? With gas prices going through the roof this summer, this is a serious thought for me. Sure I could fork out the money for 91 all the time. But as often as I drive my car, I would really enjoy 400hp with 89. Has it been done? Is it reliable? I know I won't make as much power as with 91. But i'm just trying to strike a balance between my dream of being FI, and the reality of today's economy. Reps for advice:drink

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
i didnt think you could use anything less with a turbo or supercharger, because i thought you had to increase the compression since theres a lot more air in the pistons or something like that

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
its not save to use 89 for FI...and even if you did the power wouldn't be worth to money since it will have to be so save

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
ehh a evo was running 11s on 87 at our drags lol

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would there be detonation? Surely it is possible. I'm sure it would take some excessive tuning.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was also told you cant run lower than 93 with FI. Really though if you fill your tank with 93 and it is 20 cents higher, if you fill 10 gallons its only an extra 2 bucks to the total everytime you fill up. I know it adds up but its not that bad.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
didn't say it could be done..just wouldn't suggest it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I was also told you cant run lower than 93 with FI. Really though if you fill your tank with 93 and it is 20 cents higher, if you fill 10 gallons its only an extra 2 bucks to the total everytime you fill up. I know it adds up but its not that bad.
Here in MN you cant barely get your hands on 93 only a few gas stations that i have seen carry it. We mostly have 87 89 91. But yes you are correct with it only being a couple extra bucks a tank.

But whats the point of putting a supercharger that cost a couple thousand dollars if you cant afford an extra $0.20 a gallon..... Just keep your foot out of it if you wanna save some bucks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here in MN you cant barely get your hands on 93 only a few gas stations that i have seen carry it. We mostly have 87 89 91. But yes you are correct with it only being a couple extra bucks a tank.

But whats the point of putting a supercharger that cost a couple thousand dollars if you cant afford an extra $0.20 a gallon..... Just keep your foot out of it if you wanna save some bucks.
This is so true. Not one gas station in my area carries 93. I'm picking up a 03 Cobra in the next couple days. Would it be safe to run 91 or 92 in it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts