Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm asking for a friend who is in the middle of building his car. His plans are for 600rwhp minimum. The cars specs...

03-04 Cobra Motor
Eaton Ported Blower
Ford GT Supercar Cams
T56 Tranny

Now he wants to go auto with his car. How much work would need to be done to make a 4r70w handle this power?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
not a lot. My tuner has made 600hp on a stock 4r. A slightly built 4r will take 600rwhp.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
also I will try to push mine to 550rwhp or so with just a stall,trans cooler,shift kit, and a solid tune

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool. I'll wait for more responses confirming this before I toss the info back to him. I was thinking it wouldn't take a whole lot though.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
check out FB Performance

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
just the regular mods, spiral retainer, clutches & bands, hardened sun gear,hardened input shaft, lube mod, good converter, shift kit, cooler & a good tune.

it really depends on his use of the car though, a c-4 is an arguably better choice at that power level.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
just the regular mods, spiral retainer, clutches & bands, hardened sun gear,hardened input shaft, lube mod, good converter, shift kit, cooler & a good tune.

it really depends on his use of the car though, a c-4 is an arguably better choice at that power level.
agreed lol If a 4r can't do it I'd be looking into a Glide, TH400, or EO3.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
it will be cheaper to put a 26 spline input shaft on the t56, and use a spec 3+ clutch. an auto is faster and i would deff recomend it but if money is an issue that is a good way to go. also those mods would be tough to make much over 600 rwhp,

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
A 4r with a little work will handle the power as others have stated. Less work than you would think actually. It really depends on the intended use as well. If it is going to be a weekly raced car at 600rwhp, it might need a bit more attention. The 4r is definitely capable of that power level.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well talked to him and he seems to want to just stick with the T56. Money is a factor for him definitely.

@stal, I think he may be running a 50 shot in there as well, but with a stage 5 port, and the tuner he has here in sac, it's not too farfetched...

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Well talked to him and he seems to want to just stick with the T56. Money is a factor for him definitely.

@stal, I think he may be running a 50 shot in there as well, but with a stage 5 port, and the tuner he has here in sac, it's not too farfetched...
i was just saying, threw an auto that combo is not likely to break 600 hp. a stage 5 port with ford gt cams is a good combo but its good for about high 500's maybe low 600's threw a stick. i debated the same combo for my car but the eaton has to much power drop at the big end and generates to much heat even with a port. mid 600's with a big whipple or kb is a better rout to go cause they can push that power with the stock pulley combo so belt slip and heat are drasticly reduced.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was just saying, threw an auto that combo is not likely to break 600 hp. a stage 5 port with ford gt cams is a good combo but its good for about high 500's maybe low 600's threw a stick. i debated the same combo for my car but the eaton has to much power drop at the big end and generates to much heat even with a port. mid 600's with a big whipple or kb is a better rout to go cause they can push that power with the stock pulley combo so belt slip and heat are drasticly reduced.
He apparently found some new intercooler that drops temp 30* and adds about that in hp. That's what he wants to do. He also has to plan for a motor build. He's getting it checked cuz it could be a thrown rod bearing, but the guy he is taking it to saw a video from my buddy and says it may just be the infamous 03 head tick which would save him a lot and then he could get a KB with the money saved. I'm not saying you're wrong and that power WILL happen, but I wouldn't be surprised either cuz this guy had a 2v pushing 728rwhp...

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
the best ic for cobras is the killer chill setup and it performs best with the stock heat exchanger and water tank. if i were him i would still invest money into a large blower and make the power the proven way. i have the most basic combo on my cobra and put down mid 600's with out the need for a expensive killer chill or heat exchanger.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
like stal stated the car even with the t56 will not see 600rwhp and thats a fact...god can bless the motor his self and it still wont lol.... skip the ported blower and tell him to get a 2.3 whip or a 2.9/turbo if he wants over 600 that is the ONLY way to get 600 and over to the tires...espcially thru a 4r

with the t56 just get a spec stage 3 plus and be done with it..

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I can see a 4v with forged internals but a 2v is recipe for destruction.
not sure what your talking about but the guy is running a 03 cobra motor. it is plenty strong to handle 600 rwhp and more as long as the iat's are kept down

1 - 18 of 18 Posts