Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the nitrous threads got me to thinking. How much can I go with and still be safe? My plans for the car are full bolt-ons + Cams. Something similar to a VT stage 2 cam. How safe would it be in this situation?

Not trying to be a jerk, but if you don't know, don't answer. Thanks.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
just as any other mod, need supporting mods and good tune. i have beat the living **** out of my car and have ran a lot of juice thru it. the biggest thing for the stock bottom end will be do get heads or headwork. the better VE of the head, the more power the motor can safely take.

·
Registered
193 Posts
100 shot would be safe.

why do i hear people saying not to run nitrous on returnless style fuel system mod motors? something about an initial lean spike.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just as any other mod, need supporting mods and good tune. i have beat the living **** out of my car and have ran a lot of juice thru it. the biggest thing for the stock bottom end will be do get heads or headwork. the better VE of the head, the more power the motor can safely take.

Please eloborate. Better VE? Did you upgrade you valve springs? Are you still on stock cams?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i am still on stock valvetrain as of this moment. i will be building soon and will strap to dyno just to see numbers. i havent had the time to break into my heads and do any work on them. the VE (volumetric efficientcy) of heads can greatly improve power and how the motor takes the power. when opened up, the air can get in and out fast and efficint meaning less strain inside the cylinders. lower cylinder pressures will increase power potential and engine life. that is one of the biggest reasons why the 3v's and 4v's can make more power than the 2v on the same bottom end and last.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am still on stock valvetrain as of this moment. i will be building soon and will strap to dyno just to see numbers. i havent had the time to break into my heads and do any work on them. the VE (volumetric efficientcy) of heads can greatly improve power and how the motor takes the power. when opened up, the air can get in and out fast and efficint meaning less strain inside the cylinders. lower cylinder pressures will increase power potential and engine life. that is one of the biggest reasons why the 3v's and 4v's can make more power than the 2v on the same bottom end and last.
So..what supporting mods should I consider before installing a Nitrous Kit? What precautions have you taken? What kit did you go with? How much are you spraying? Thank you for your help thus far.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
i think 150 is about max on a stock motor.... all nitrous is the same just goin through different lines.. lol. some people say zex is a reputable name... everyone around here where im from like the harris speed works cuz its just a good cheap wet kit... i can get them for 300... i agree wit sweet2k that heads and cams will be an excellent first motor mod... its a big stepping stone out of the way..

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i am on a 125 shot. i am a bolt on car, and for nitrous: i have a pressure controlled bottle heater, 1 stage colder plugs, right now its a NOS kit fed thru a n/x plate, and window switch. i have a zex box on the way to replace my NOS solenoids, and a fpss on the way. i havent replace my pump yet, i still have enough ruel pressure all the way up to 6300rpm's. i am pushing my luck, but not for much longer.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
colder heat range plugs, window swithc, bottle heater, bottle pressure gauge, Window switch, WOT switch, and Fuel Pressure safety switches are the supporting mods that I would do...

Wait I ahve done.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
i have heard that 99-04 gts come with a few degrees of timing retarded so it could be safe to run upwards of a 100 shot on stock tune... does anyone have proof or disproof of that?

·
Registered
962 Posts
colder heat range plugs, window swithc, bottle heater, bottle pressure gauge, Window switch, WOT switch, and Fuel Pressure safety switches are the supporting mods that I would do...

Wait I ahve done.

are you drunk?? you're typing sloppy young man...

and nitrous= safe as any mod if done correctly, just dont get greedy...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im running zex 75 wet shot, just gotta get a couple of things to upgrade to 125...as for for stock GTs 125-150 is safe without any heavy mods...75 shot if you don't wanna retard the timing or do any modifications, and 100-125 shot you'd need to spend a little more+tune it
As for kits either Zex or Nos, and I'd recommend the wet kit- more expensive but safer + more horsepower.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
are you drunk?? you're typing sloppy young man...

and nitrous= safe as any mod if done correctly, just dont get greedy...
Just tired!

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i have heard that 99-04 gts come with a few degrees of timing retarded so it could be safe to run upwards of a 100 shot on stock tune... does anyone have proof or disproof of that?

this is true. i ran a 100 shot without any timing pulled. i even did it on 87 without knowing it, the ole lady put 87 in it one day without thinking about it. we did it on doc's mach when we installed it. 91+ octane and one stage colder plugs help out too. the timing and afr's are so conservative stock, and will take abuse. it is always smart to tune it or atleast data log it to make sure everything is good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts