Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start off i have the mach 460 sound system in my 2001 stang and i just got my new head unit today. I'm having that installed for me. i also have a sub already but i dont know what to do, how to do it, and what i need. do i need to get an amp for it? if so what would be a good CHEAP amp to get? im kinda looking to spend around $200 give or take a little. what would be the best way for me to install it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
You will need an amp and an amp kit corresponding to the appropriate gauge wire that your amp will take. The amp kit will have everything that you will need to make the install easy, IE... main fused power wire, ground wire, remote turn on wire, RCA, and various other little things like connectors. Also you will need a box if you dont already have one. the amp you will need can only be determined by what your sub can handle, or better yet, what it needs to be able to play at peak effeciency. Let me know which one you have and the model number so I can see what it requires. Also if you tell me if your car is an automatic or manual I can tell you the easies way to run your power wire.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well the sub is a type r alpine im pretty sure. as far as size and model number im not 100% sure, it was my brothers. my car is automatic

Its a 10" so idk its a Alpine SWR-1022D or a Alpine SWR-1042D.. it might be the 1022d.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
in order for anyone to help you out we will need to know if its a dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm sub.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to run Type-R's and they benefted tremendously from running in larger enclosures.

Also, their output was amazing. I liked the ported enclosures better than the sealed, though frequency response on both was less than I like

·
Registered
812 Posts
if you take it to a local audio shop they'd be able to tell you in a heart beat if its a 2 or 4

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Or you can just save your gas and look at the sticker on the magnet....

If sticker is gone, put a multimeter on it
exactly what you can do cause even if you go to an audio shop they will not visually be able to look at it and tell you that its a 4 or 2 ohm dvc sub they would have to take it out and either look at the sticker or test it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so yeah i keep looking at the sub.. but maybe i didnt mention its already in a enclosure.. and alls i see is 4 plug like things on the back so idk what this is or whatever.. im sorry im like a know nothing when it comes to this stuff.. im new to the car world.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
can you get a picture of it? at the very bottom of the sub, IIRC, there should be something that states if it is a dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm. you will see a number then the "Omega" symbol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
so yeah i found out that its the dual 4 ohm.. but my brother must have sold the amp.. so does anyone know of a good amp i can get thats not expensive.

so yeah im trying to get some pcitures of it i just took.. but my computer is being stupid and wont let me even see them in my email.. so all i can tell you is that its the 4 ohd and that its in a box already with a hole type thing next the the sub itself.. haha

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I have two cars with a Kenwood 9104D amp running a 2ohm 12 and had a Kenwood 8104D recently. Good for the price, I got mine cheaper from some random vendor on Amazon recently but the price fluctuates. Radio Shack has some Monster Cable amplifier install kits on closeout. I don't buy into the Monster cable hype and typically avoid them out of spite but these kits are well worth the money at the current price.

Monster® High-Performance 1000-Watt Multi-Amp Connection Kit - RadioShack.com
and
Monster® High-Performance 1000 Watt Connection Kit - RadioShack.com

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
For the price, the 9104D puts out enough for me. Compare it to other class D amps in the $150 range and pick one. People have good and bad experiences with all brands of amps.

My daughter was on an extreme budget so her car has Plye PLAD214 ($85) driving two 15's. Many people would consider this a ghetto setup but the 15's are very efficient so it works out okay and she only has about $150 into it.

Whatever you decide, it all comes down to one thing... How much do you want to pay? There is always something slightly better for a slightly higher price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.