Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Canon Gang
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This can't be straight off the camera. But I have no idea how to achieve this extreme motion blur in photoshop. The regular motion blur filter doesn't seem to be cutting it.

·
Canon Gang
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too. and it's shopped. I just have to figure out how to do it.

·
Canon Gang
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might be starting to get the hang of it.

Original:

Shopped:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
impressive lol

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
It looks like he is widening the profile of the trees and sky by duplicating them on themselves and smudging them to get the motion blur effect without using motion blur.

·
Canon Gang
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trees definitely look smudged, but I don't know about the lines on the road. And I don't know how he got the vanishing point effect with the tapering blur.

fug.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
Why can't it be straight off the camera? Seen pics like that before, never thought it would be photoshopped but I suppose it could be.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
usually they just set the camera to open the lens for a longer time, and set the lens opening size really low so that way the lens will open for a longer time allowing the camera to capture movement but because its only opening a small diameter the picture wont come out too bright.
And then they just roll at the same speed as the car being pictured and hold the camera steady for the picture.
I dont know if that made sense, its hard to explain.

·
Canon Gang
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
usually they just set the camera to open the lens for a longer time, and set the lens opening size really low so that way the lens will open for a longer time allowing the camera to capture movement but because its only opening a small diameter the picture wont come out too bright.
And then they just roll at the same speed as the car being pictured and hold the camera steady for the picture.
I dont know if that made sense, its hard to explain.
Well I understand shutter speed for rolling shots, but to me, it seems near impossible to keep the car that sharp while holding the shutter open for a long enough period of time to get that extreme of a blur. Seems like the car would at least be a little blurred from the camera vehicle hitting a bump in the road, or something.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can get the rolling shot itself, but quite a bit of that photo looks like it was done in post.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Probably done with a rig attached to the car that was photoshopped out. That's how must of those shots are done professionally.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Normally you mount a boom to the car to get the rolling shot, then edit the boom out in photoshop.
You only need to be going a few MPH to get the effect.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
That is definitely a rig shot, but there is also a heavy edit on the photograph.

This particular photog failed to edit the boom out well. Look specifically at the hood/fender line on the driver side as it approaches the headlamp assembly. It's all flubbed up. You cannot go half way with these rig shots, either you will invest the time to edit or you will fail badly.

The sky is also an edit, you will not light a car on the shadowed side the way this has been done and get a flare of that nature. I'll admit the flare edit is far better than the rig extraction.

The blur looks pretty accurate for a rigged shot. The closer your back drop is, the more motion the frame will feel. If objects are way off in the distance they will not blur as much.

There's some discussion of my rig layout and a shot of it in set up on my bagged suburban here: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/pictures/283400-how-do-you-do.html

Swift, when you extract the car for a faked roller - you gotta watch your edges. The pavement around the tires and the edges where the white paint transition to background are a dead giveaway. I would extract the car in two layers, first one right on the edge via a manual selection at 200% zoom for accuracy, second bump it out 3 pixel widths. of course apply your BG motion blur to the background layer and then phase back in the extracted cars. The 3 pixel bump lays first remove set your eraser to opacity of 30% and erase to the edge of the car as cleanly as possible. Lay your last car extract layer on top of that. Then use your blur tool set to 5% and run it around the edge of the car, not too much, you want to keep as much sharpness as possible.

All of that will stop that tack sharp pavement and paint blur you see around the edge of the car. The rig cuts down on 50-75% of this type of chop time.

·
Canon Gang
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a ton to all of you! I see how it's done now. And I would build a boom today if I thought a suction cup would stick to plastidip :(

·
Canon Gang
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure I'm too in love with these pics...

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Get the sun on the side you shoot. As I mentioned above, you can't net a quality shot with detail on the shaded side unless it's overcast/cloudy. Or you totally blow out the sky and background by metering the car alone.

·
'Stang Noob
338 Posts
Usually those rolling shots are done with a rig or chase car and a long exposure/shutter time. Then PS the image.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Depending on lighting if you can get to 1/25 - 1/40th of a second you are in the sweet spot for rollers at about 20-25 mph.

Anything longer and the auto will be soft at the edges and look like there is vertical jitter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts