Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have street tires so I dont usually do a burnout at the track, but its starting to get cold down here in Florida so I think that roasting the tires just a little might be good to do. And besides, it looks pretty cool too.

Its an auto, so do you just hold the break and floor the gas? I wanna try and do a stand still burnout. I just wanna check on here first before I go to the track and look stupid or do something bad to my car. Any tips on burning out would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
on an auto car just hold the brake and floor it. don't go into the waterbox.

dont make a habit of doing it on the street like that, your rear brakes are engaging slightly unless you get a line lock kit. you'll over heat the rears if you do it all the time.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k thanks

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
its not about looking cool dude the burnout at the track is done for a reason, and for street tires doing a burnout to look cool will make you look stupid when you are sitting on the line spinning your ass off afterwards. Especially after the tires a screeching very loudly while doing it. Just spin the tires over like 3 or 4 rotations to clean them off and thats it. Doesn't matter how cold it is you heating up stock tires ain't going to do **** for you except make you go slower. Trust me, been there and done that.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
heating up street tires no matter what the conditions are make them slick is basically what tim is saying.

+1 to Tim and Jon

·
Registered
980 Posts
In all honesty, on street tires I just drive around the water box and into the trail of water that others leave, then I peel out just to clean off my tires. Notice I said peel out and not a stand-still burnout. I just spin my tires about 4-5 rotations to clean them off. Also, depending on the track, you might or might not be able to back into the water box (or the water trails if that's what you're gonna use, like me.) I know they didn't let me back up at Infineon Raceway.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
depends on the tire...my stock fusions...yeah burnout did nothing. spun them off and then would run. hooked well

now the 315 sumitomo's were a completely different story...no burnout, spun and didn't hook worth a crap. did a burnout on them for the first time to try it...launched the same, and bogged cause it hooked so good...those things hooked like crazy when heated up...1.8 sixty foot on those sumi's

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright, thanks for the advice guys. I wasnt sure if since its getting colder if heating the tires would help at all or not. Since it doesnt, I'll just stick with the peel out :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha yea believe it or not, every now and then we actually have to throw on a jacket...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You guys running stock tires at the track:

Get some 15 inch wheels and some drag radials!
Air them down to about 15 PSI and hold on to the steering wheel!
You won't believe how much harder your car will pull in the first 2 gears.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea when I get some money I will definitely invest in something better for the back.

However for now I'm stuck with stock wheels/tires. I think the psi in them is around 30ish right now for daily driving.

Would it benefit me to lower the psi in those? How low? Front and back? Maybe this would shave some times off my 1/4?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Yea when I get some money I will definitely invest in something better for the back.

However for now I'm stuck with stock wheels/tires. I think the psi in them is around 30ish right now for daily driving.

Would it benefit me to lower the psi in those? How low? Front and back? Maybe this would shave some times off my 1/4?
Look at your treadwear.

If you're wearing out the center of the tires, you've got too much pressure; wearing the sides means not enough.

You can also get an instant-read thermometer and check the tire temp at the sides and center of the tread - hotter means more wear, so adjust your pressures as above. Equal temps means your pressure is spot on.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
depends on the tire...my stock fusions...yeah burnout did nothing. spun them off and then would run. hooked well

now the 315 sumitomo's were a completely different story...no burnout, spun and didn't hook worth a crap. did a burnout on them for the first time to try it...launched the same, and bogged cause it hooked so good...those things hooked like crazy when heated up...1.8 sixty foot on those sumi's
**** i could never get mine to the 1.8.... 1.9's at best but those tires are so picky you can over heat them pretty easy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts