Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised If your Vortech supercharged on a single bolt tensioner and have fought to get your tensioner stretched out in order to get your belt on this is going to really make your day. Most of you will already have this tool in your garage so Enjoy my personal tecnique, then let me know if this made changing your belt a totally different experience when it came down to getting the tensioner stretched out to get the belt on.

Reactions: MineralGreyGT

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Thats awesome! Thanks! Would rep but I need to spread the love!

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem man, After fighting my belt and tensioner I said never again will I go through that so I came up with this. Even with all the intercooler piping and stuff in the way this works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No problem man, After fighting my belt and tensioner I said never again will I go through that so I came up with this. Even with all the intercooler piping and stuff in the way this works like a charm.
Great info. wish i had this a couple weeks earlier, i used the two person method, one under the car pushing up (long bar) and another pulling from the top when trying to put it back on. i find it best to take the belt on/off around the power steering pump if u have a lip around your water pump and alternator pulleys.

Now i can finally do it by myself thanks much.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Nice summary thanks for posting it up.

My issue is the lack of clearance from my water pump pulley to my I/W 10% od dampner - not possible to get the belt out between them without removing the water pump pulley

Yours has no lip - what year(s) has no lip? (or is it aftermarket?)

·
Registered
972 Posts
wow that looked a million times better than what i had to do earlier

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It definately is much easier once you try this youll be like DAMN lol
Skidad ide machine the lip of that pulley off, I have one just like that which came with my Vortech kit that I didnt se case mine dont have the lip.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Nice man thats awesome. Much easier.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Holy cow. Do you Vortech drivers really have to use a pipe wrench to change a belt? I use a 3/8 ratchet. Now to be fair I have heard that you do not have to unbolt the head unit to change a belt. Unfortunately, I do. I have to unbolt it and rock it back to get the new belt on. Still, that pipe wrench is a good trick. +1 on that.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
96-99 with a 3 bolt tensioner you dont have to take the blower off. With the 00-04 you have to. Its a pain in the ass. Cant even get a ratchet in there

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Shaun, as many belts as we have shredded and replaced a new trick to make it easier is alway welcomed.

Edit: The biggest problem I've had is holding the belt on the two bottom pulleys and then sliding it over my smooth waterpump pulley. New belts are not very cooperative. I've had to ask my wife to help me several times.

I didn't know until a couple of weeks ago that some of you had water pump pulleys with lips. That has to be a pain. 2000's didn't and my Meizere electric water pump doesn't. The waterpump is the last pulley I put the belt over.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My tensioner has a 3/8 square hole in it and I use a 12" long 3/8 ratchet to do the same thing. Have you looked for that square hole on the tensioner housing?
Some other makes of vehicles have a 1/2 hole but all should have this.
And ya if you vortec guys think you have it rough, us procharger guys have to take the HU off the motor to change a belt. Try this when its really hot out and the HU is like 250 degrees hot. This is the main reason I put the Meizere on incase I throw a belt. Drive it home.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I believe they are saying that the bracket fits too close to get a ratchet in there.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Nice summary thanks for posting it up.

My issue is the lack of clearance from my water pump pulley to my I/W 10% od dampner - not possible to get the belt out between them without removing the water pump pulley

Yours has no lip - what year(s) has no lip? (or is it aftermarket?)

I read a post the other day about that problem. People were grinding the lip off the waterpump pulley for more clearance.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vortech guys do have to pull the head unit back to slide the belt in between the blower bracket and the timing cover. Its a pain in the ass, then once you get to the part where your trying to stretch ot the tensioner with 2 men in order to get the belt on its a bitch. The pipe wrench may seem a bit primitive but If you have ever done one of these belts this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I never really had any problems replacing my belt. I use a 1/2 ratchet to push down on the tensioner, loosen a couple bolts on the head unit. The only hardest part I have is remember how the damn belt goes back on. I do have a Thump RRR tensioner as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is not s ought room to fit a ratchet in between the Vortech bracket and the tensioner on a 1 bolt tensioner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts